Good Biopellet reactor for large volume (750ml+ systems)

FishBeard

So I've come to realize its not the pump, but the fundamental design of the TLF Phosban 550 reactor that make it inadequate for use with biopellets. They are designed for granular/pelletized media, with a gentle boil, not for the violent rolling tumble that bio pellets require. I'm 200ml into a total 800ml of pellets in my 550 reactor, and a 640gph pump can't even get a decent tumble from that, the pump is being sickeningly choked out by the tiny inlet pipe on the reactor and the bottom of the canister does not have the correct curvature to get more than the outer ring of pellets from rolling. I'd much rather not modify the 550 and either just keep it for some other media, or sell it to someone who can use it.

So what I am looking for is advice from others with large systems running biopellets, which reactor and pump you are using or recommend, and why.

In the meantime, I will just have to transfer my pellets over to a 150 reactor to get the initial quantity active until I need the larger reactor for additional pellet volume.

Cubbies

BP don't need violent rolling tumble. They only need a small tumble enough to get them moving. You might be wanting more tumble than what you actually need. The 550 is rated up to 600G. I have seen them in action though and have to agree they don't do as well as a job for BP as for other media.

FishBeard

BP don't need violent rolling tumble. They only need a small tumble enough to get them moving. You might be wanting more tumble than what you actually need. The 550 is rated up to 600G. I have seen them in action though and have to agree they don't do as well as a job for BP as for other media.
Trust me, it was full bore and you could clearly see there was nowhere near enough tumble to do jack (only the outer row of pellets was even moving) I moved the same 200ml of pellets over to my 150 reactor and they are now rolling like they should. This should work for about a month or so until I need to double the volume to about 400ml, which will be about half of the total volume needed. By the time I have the full 800ml of pellets in the reactor, there won't be any movement even with the 640gph pump if I switch back to the 550 reactor. It's a fundamental design flaw of the 550 reactor, it's got the cone shaped bottom in the canister, but it necks down to a pitiful 3/16" hole at the inlet and it chokes the flow down miserably. I'd rather buy a proper reactor than have to screw around with modifying a perfectly good gfo/carbon reactor to work with pellets.

MMreef

I had the same reactor for a while (TLF 550) and it did not do its job tumbling pellets.I got Reef Octopus BR-110 reactor and could not be happier.The overall design is so much better . Those reactorc utilizes a fluidizing cone bottom design to keep the biopellet media in suspension and evenly dispersed in the water column.I use it with Maxi Jet 1800 utility pump http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=CIEVn6uCET5_WJYe9gwfTzcTrCdislpMDwImo7Sior5iFXAgCEAEoBFDn76mF-_____8BYMmG_4fwo-wSoAHQ-vDNA8gBB6oEGk_Q2wugU5xKFUpKuQygMS8c5kRWcml92Rd3ugUTCIDxj4fVq68CFcbV4Aod8iECd8AFBcoFAKAGJg&ei=6eCET8DYIsargwfyw4i4Bw&sig=AOD64_1IS9stswyVwu-0DtOEp2X8sRfHIg&ctype=5&sqi=2&ved=0CBQQww8&adurl=http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm%3Fpcatid%3D18989%26cmpid%3D03csegpl%26ref%3D6111%26subref%3DAA%26CAWELAID%3D525421511
The BR-110 max capacity is 800ml. of pellets so it should work for you,if not there is a bigger model to.In this video I have about 500ml. of pellets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUP03mqOof0IbqxcwtW0jOHw&feature=player_detailpage&v=_OdKWhVSx1o

thebreit1

I've been running the Avastmarine MR-5 Tall for about 1 month now. Purchased the DIY version. Goes together real easy. Have it powered off of the main pump and the pellets are tumbling very nicely.

FishBeard

Was it really worth saving a few bucks to build it yourself? I kinda prefer to open a box and hook it up, but if it was fairly easy to do might be worth it.

thebreit1

Was it really worth saving a few bucks to build it yourself? I kinda prefer to open a box and hook it up, but if it was fairly easy to do might be worth it.
It took roughly 1 day to do everything. All of that time was spent for the glue to dry. If it helps, these are the instructions: http://www.avastmarine.com/literature/MR-Kit_manual.pdf . Avast also has a video on putting the unit together; audio stinks but it did help. I usually would agree with you and defer things to professionals but in this case, I'm glad I did it myself.

As an aside, Avastmarine supplied glue with the kit. Also in the box was about 4' of tubing and a shutoff valve.