Good crab or bad?

ryanjan11

So I found a hitch hiker today on acro...from what I've read the good kind is smooth and white. This thing is tiny and hairy, maybe dark greenish or brown... sorry I don't have a pic. I tried but my point and shoot is just not good enough. Could someone give some advice. I know its a little vague but didnt want to get rid of something that's good. Also any advice on how to capture or do I just dig in there with some tweezers...

Thanks in advance,
ryan

Greg

Barring a picture, I would pull it based on description.
There are 2 crabs that commonly get the name acro crab, one good and one bad.
There are hairy brown crabs that live in sps corals, eating them. They are sometimes referred to as acro crabs. Species Cymo andreossyi. Get rid of him asap.
Examples:

The smooth ones are the good guys. Often referred to as acropora crabs. Species name Trapezia. Some are white, but they are many other colors including blue, red, and mixes of the colors. There are striped ones, spotted ones, ect. Keep all of these guys.
Examples:

ryanjan11

Thanks for the quick response Greg! I was able to get him out pretty quick with a paper clip and tweezers...now what to do with him/her. A shame to just kill this thing...

Greg

Unfotunately for him, this hobby usually doesn't have an area for sps eating crabs.

Some people keep nano tanks with random non-safe hitchhikers in them.
He can serve as food for some fish/inverts.
You can throw him in the sump, but he probably won't last too long.

ryanjan11

Hey Puffer, my wife works in Franklin Park (Hester Jr. High)...I can send it with her tomorrow if you want to pick it up there. Just let me know otherwise I think its good night for this guy.

ColaAddict

I am banishing all my crabs. all they do is try to steal food from my LPS's when I feed them. I think my hermit crabs also killed and ate 2 of my clams that I've had for awhile.

ryanjan11

Hey puffer,
My wife just volunteered to drop it off for you after work (between 3:30-4). Seems that would be easier for her if that's ok with you. Hope it works out, let me know, dont really want to kill this thing.

Pufferpunk

Sure, that's fine, if I'm not here she can just give it to my hubby. Unless should could drop it off on the way?

ryanjan11

On the way might be tough considering its always kind of crazy already with the little one. I'll have her drop the little guy off with your husband. Please PM me your address.

ryanjan11

lol....I told you not to get too excited cause its freakin tiny....oh well...he's alive and all is well. :) Thanks again.

Ryan