good online sites to buy corals from

cromag09

I am looking for good places to buy frags from online, i tried MRcoral but i didnt get what i ordered and what i did get is already dying. any help would be great.

cromag09

well since i am still in the learning stages i dont want to spend a lot on one coral. I would like to get a few sps to add to the tank. I do have a few zoa's and 2 acans that are doing good in the tank right now.

Crooks

For the learning stages I wouldn't waste money on shipping and just buy locally till you want the hard to cant find stuff locally then pay to have it shipped to you.

cromag09

Would you like to elaborate? Perhaps someone might have some advice to save your coral.
Sure, the sps that i got were any where from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. they looked healthy and did great for about a week. then starting on friday they "flesh" like part started to strip off. i dont have a picture of mine but i did find another post from someone else on the forums and it looks just like this

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4176

the frags are so small that there was nothing i could cut off to save.

yogoshio

Honestly, you're better off buying frags from site members. Better deals, you know where they're coming from, and more likely than not, they'll give you some starters. Not gonna speak for anyone, but I've seen/heard of it plenty of times.

cromag09

ok very cool! I thought it would be easier to order online(but i guess not) because i live in WI and most of the people i see selling corals live south of chicago and its a long drive for me lol.

Herbie

Banned
Sure, the sps that i got were any where from 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch. they looked healthy and did great for about a week. then starting on friday they "flesh" like part started to strip off. i dont have a picture of mine but i did find another post from someone else on the forums and it looks just like this

I'm so proud. . .
I agree with everyone else. Until you get the hang of things you will most likely just be wasting money on shipping. You should come down to mundelein, IL and check out Sho Tank. It should take you about 45 minutes to get there and Matt has many frags starting at 5 bucks. Sometimes RTN is random (so I'm told), but in your case (and mine) it was probably preventable and will only be avoided in the future by trying to control as many of the variables as possible. Good luck to us both.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I've ordered from Happy Coral before and was very satisfied. But I'd seriously consider Crook's advice if your newer to the hobby. There are several very good online retailers out there but many times they tend to carry more of the higher-end pieces (ie more expensive), which might be a gamble if you're not positive you can keep them alive.

Eyereef has a good relationship with AquaSD in San Diego, they are also a trusted sponsor.

I know we have CR members up in northern Lake County, not sure how many there are in Kenosha County. You could probably post a WTB thread and see who's around you. just a thought...

EricTheRed

First of all, you wouldn't be the first person I've met who had a bad experience buying the tiny cheap frags from Mr Coral.

Aside from that, sps require very stable parameters. Tell us about your tank and your param's.

cromag09

I'm so proud. . .
I agree with everyone else. Until you get the hang of things you will most likely just be wasting money on shipping. You should come down to mundelein, IL and check out Sho Tank. It should take you about 45 minutes to get there and Matt has many frags starting at 5 bucks. Sometimes RTN is random (so I'm told), but in your case (and mine) it was probably preventable and will only be avoided in the future by trying to control as many of the variables as possible. Good luck to us both.
Ok good to know! i dont like wasting money lol. I have been to sho tank i also go to MCF its not that far of a drive for me.

EricTheRed

ok very cool! I thought it would be easier to order online(but i guess not) because i live in WI and most of the people i see selling corals live south of chicago and its a long drive for me lol.
There's also a lfs in Beach Park.

cromag09

My tank is a biocube 29 with the led retrofit. i got it from fishbeard a few months back, ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 Ca 400 SG 1.025 Ph 8.0 temp 80.5