Green carpet anemone ate my clowns

Pawel

Premium member
Anyone ever had carpet anemone eat pair of expensive clownfish? Mine did. Pair of Mocha Storm clownfish are gone.

Pawel

Premium member
I got this nem from a friend who's no longer in the hobby. He had that nem hosting regular clownfish for years with no problem.

coral49

Premium member
sorry for your lose that is always a tough way to go. I have had several different carpets and lost fish but never clowns. Your clowns, have they ever been with another nem? My best guess is they lack the protective skin coating. Once i had a pair of red sea clowns, they were in a bubble for years, i moved them to a different tank and they went in a Gig. The 1st couple weeks I could see them almost wince every time they went in gig and over time they their skin got darker and they built a protective coating.

Pawel

Premium member
sorry for your lose that is always a tough way to go. I have had several different carpets and lost fish but never clowns. Your clowns, have they ever been with another nem? My best guess is they lack the protective skin coating. Once i had a pair of red sea clowns, they were in a bubble for years, i moved them to a different tank and they went in a Gig. The 1st couple weeks I could see them almost wince every time they went in gig and over time they their skin got darker and they built a protective coating.
They were juveniles, about one inch long. I don't think they ever had contact with anemone. I have two clowns in my display with bubble tip anemone with no problem.

coral49

Premium member
you got me curious so I searched another board, and low and behold it said on rare occasion that a haddoni will eat a young ocellaris, It was very rare. I personal had a pair of midnight black with a haddoni for a year but they were exposed to a Bubble for a years before they went into tank with carpet, not sure that has anything to do with it other than luck.

regardless, it sucks you lost good fish

11fishjones

Premium member
That stinks! Sorry for your loss! I've heard of this before though I believe it's rare. Have you been feeding the nem since you took over posession? Was your friend feeding the nem silver sides or other fleshy meals?

Pawel

Premium member
That stinks! Sorry for your loss! I've heard of this before though I believe it's rare. Have you been feeding the nem since you took over posession? Was your friend feeding the nem silver sides or other fleshy meals?
Every Sunday that nem would get half of shad. It looked happy. My buddy was doing the same thing. I got rid of that nem.