Green Hair Algae

msujohn

My tank is only about 8 weeks old. My diatoms still haven't gone away yet and now I am some green hair algae (only on 1 rock - but is is completely covered). I bought several different snails (Turbo's, Trochus, Asteria, and Nassiruss). None of them seem to go after the green hair algae. I've done weekly water changes for the past 3 weeks. I am using RO/DI water as well that shows TDS - 0. I'm also using a GFO reactor.

- How long will it take for my diatoms to go away? Is there anything I can do to improve this?
- What can I do to get rid of my green hair algae?

anarchy

Turn the pump and powerheads off and remove manually. Once it's short then pick up all the snails and place them on the rock and they should go after it

msujohn

Is there a trick to removing it manually? It's pretty fine and doesn't seem to come up easy? I've tried putting some of the snails on it directly already, but they don't seem to stay on the rock. I'll keep trying - any concern with this spreading?

anarchy

Yeah it will spread if you let it float in the tank. I'm battling it now and here's my before and after
Before

After

msujohn

Ok, I'll do another water change this weekend, keep putting the snails on the rock and see if I can try srubbing the algae off the rock as well.

ghostman

I just pull it off with my fingers if I can. I also like to use a toothbrush to scrub algae off the rocks. Catch any floating strands before it spreads.

Blue corals

Pull the rock and trim the hair with scissors, then dip it in peroxide and water, I used 3:1 ratio for about 5 mins and scrub it with a toothbrush to take off as much as possible then rinse it in fresh salt water then put back in your tank.

The reefer

Post a pic of the algae. If u could take out the rock I would brush it off outside the tank. And then peroxide it. If it's just green hair algae it sshould work. But it could be bryopsis if no cuc will eat it, u do not want to brush bryopsis in ur tank cuz that will grow everywhere and its a pain to get rid of. Good luck