Grey Head or Vrolik's Wrasse?

SkullV

So I purchased this wrasse as a Grey Head Wrasse (Halichoeres leucurus) at the last meet from [MENTION=9]AQUAPROS[/MENTION]. After a lot of research and discussion with various "wrasse people", I'm starting to think it's actually a Vrolik's Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysotaenia). I love the fish either way (even though Vrolik's is a cheaper fish), but I'm just trying to figure out for sure to know what's in my tank.

What do you think?

My fish:

Vrolik's:

Grey Head:

MMreef

Definitely not grey head. I have one from Aquapros I bought few weeks ago that looks exactly like LA picture.

SkullV

Yeah, sounds like you guys are confirming what I thought, not necessarily happy I payed the Grey Head price for a Vrolik's but happy that I love the fish and it is actually a slightly smaller fish than the Grey Head.

MMreef

My grey head is the biggest of all my wrasses, kid you not, he grew like inch in about 4 weeks.

jrpark22000

Premium member
reading through Scott W Michael's Wrasse book, pg 196-202, the grey head more closely resembles h. richmondi. H. vrolikkii is almost identical to H. melanurus except vrolikii male's have green spots on the caudal fin.

It might not be possible to identify until the terminal phase.