• YES

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • NO

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scottjm84

Hey all,
I noticed the other day while cleaning my tank I was getting a tingling sensation over a cut on my finger. Noted to myself that I was barefoot (doh) to complete a pathway to ground. I bought a voltmeter and found I had a Mag 9.5 pump that was leaking about 20V of charge, getting it replaced however it brought me to do alot or research on using GCFI and grounding probes on tanks. Come to the conclusion that Im going to use both a GCFI unit for my own protection however having a grounding probe to eliminate the 2-3V thats always there with submersible electrical equipment so my critters aren't constantly in an electrical charge. The grounding probe does not trip the GCFI when 2-3V are leaked however when the 20V were there it was tripping. Ill keep this system in place when I'm home on a daily basis but change power to a non GCFI outlet during vacation or being away for few days as if it tripped while away I would lose my tank (nightmare scenario). Ill get rid of the grounding probe while its on a NON GCFI outlet as well as I read that if you have a grounding probe thats conducting large amounts of leaked voltage from failed equipment I can start an electrical fire.

I have read where people believe charge in an aquarium is harmless to the critters as they compare it to a bird sitting on an electrical wire as long as the circuit is not completed theres no current just the potential voltage and they cant be harmed. But Ive read in some other books (Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by John H. Tullock) that this isn't the case as fish have a sensory organ (the lateral line complex) that this potential voltage disturbs. I cannot say Ive noted too much difference in my critters activity since adding the grounding plus however the concept makes sense to me so Im sticking with it. Charge with voltmeter is 0 with grounding plug.

Thoughts?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Sounds like you have it worked out fairly well. I've tested for stray voltage before and didn't get a reading but never thought about the very low voltage that the meter couldn't pick up. I don't use a grounding probe and wonder how many folks do?

rako1

Premium member
I have noticed in both of my tanks because they are smaller 40b and a 14 cube that when I started noticed things go wrong I had stray voltage problems as much as 46 volts so I always use probs

madjoe

Premium member
Oh and your right i seen stray voltage affect fish stopped eating acting weird and believe it can cause lateral line if enough stray voltage over time . Seen leathers close also zoas. Not to mention the shock i get when sticking hands in it .

SkullV

I run grounding probes in both of my tanks. Not sure if it made a difference or not, but I was seeing stray voltage before and I'm not now. Just make sure to plug the probe into a good working (tested often) GFCI outlet and never through a power strip or extension cord.