GugsJr AWC experiment

GugsJr

TeamCR
So I picked up a DOS unit about a week ago and I finally got it set up to do Automatic water changes.

I have the DOS setup to add 3028.3 ml from a 23 gallon brute container and and remove 3028.3 ml from my sump into a drain in the laundry room between Midnight and 8am. This should be 24 gallons which is 20% of my tanks volume a month.

So I'm going to do a test to see if this will allow me to not have to dos CA, Alk and Mag.

As far as removing waste from the tank, I have my tank setup so I can filter out the water with a python back into a filter sock that's in my sump.

Every Sunday I'll post my parameters.

Today I did a 25 gallon water change so that it's like the start of a new month with the DOS system, changed out Carbon, GFO, removed extra cheato.

Salt mix: Aquavitro Salinity

Week 1 Parameters 9-3-17

• ALK: 8
  • CA: 450
  • MG: 1350
  • Nitrate: 5 ppm
  • Phosphate: .25ppm

Week 2 Parameters 9-10-17

• ALK: 7.2
  • CA: 465
  • MG: 1365
  • Nitrate: 0 ppm
  • Phosphate: 0 ppm

Week 3 Parameters 9-17-17

• ALK: 7.68
  • MG: 1365

Week 4 Parameters 9-24-17

• ALK: 8.0
  • MG: 1320

Last edited:

Danieldv6

Sounds good..imo parameters will be good the first week or so but they gonna start to drop after that.am doing at least 8 gallons a week and still dosing.good luck.will follow

GugsJr

TeamCR
Sounds good..imo parameters will be good the first week or so but they gonna start to drop after that.am doing at least 8 gallons a week and still dosing.good luck.will follow
What size tank do you have? Do you use the DOS for your AWC? I looked for some info on it but couldn't find. I'd rather not buy a 2nd DOS system. If they did a 3 system I'd be in.

Danieldv6

75 and 40b sump..not doing a AWC just noted that when I was doing montly changes..the corals looked great the first say two weeks after that they were looking weird..so opted by small water changes and they doing good..I leave my dosing pump running anyways..the other day I ran out of mag and some corals started to look different.
PS:EVERY TANK IS DIFFERENT

- - - Updated - - -

What size tank do you have? Do you use the DOS for your AWC? I looked for some info on it but couldn't find. I'd rather not buy a 2nd DOS system. If they did a 3 system I'd be in.
^

GugsJr

TeamCR
75 and 40b sump..not doing a AWC just noted that when I was doing montly changes..the corals looked great the first say two weeks after that they were looking weird..so opted by small water changes and they doing good..I leave my dosing pump running anyways..the other day I ran out of mag and some corals started to look different.
PS:EVERY TANK IS DIFFERENT

- - - Updated - - -

^
Mine is changing out 5.6 gallons per week though (.8 gallons a day)

update today's numbers. Seems odd that everything went up but my Alk went down.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Updated, didn't have time to post them yesterday since I'm going fallow in my Dr for 90 days tried to catch 6 fish effed up with 3. Hopefully can get the other after work today

GugsJr

TeamCR
Posted my week 4 results, seems like this method is keeping my parameters with in reason without needing to dose.

I'll be doing a water change soon just to remove any waste

GugsJr

TeamCR
Stayed at 1.026, with auto top off and the DOS, it worked really well. Just made sure the 24 gallon of water was at 1.026

CienFuegos

Premium member
Interesting concept! Going to follow and yes the one thing everyone should keep in mind is that everyone's tank is different.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Interesting concept! Going to follow and yes the one thing everyone should keep in mind is that everyone's tank is different.
I agree with this. In my years of dealing with aquariums I can't tell you how many times I've tried things others have tried that doesn't work for my setup/tank. Though it did help with ideas or required a few minor tweaks.

My aquariums is 120 reef, I'm running, GFO, Carbon, Skimmer and Biopellets on a refugium. Fully dominated SPS tank minus the Hammer Coral and Duncan coral. Other then those it's Bird's nest, Acros, Milis, and a few others I can't remember the name of.