Gurgling or splashing durso

jcarlilesiu

I have been struggling with my overflow durso standpipe, ballvalve, air hole, and various other components trying to get this thing to quiet down.

Last night, I figured out that when the flow rate is reduced via a ball valve on the line FROM the sump, that the durso doesn't make a waterfall noise but rather gurgles. So I read that the gurgle is actually from having the line to the sump submerged and essentially air getting trapped in the line. This caused the water to flush up and down in the overflow compartment.

So I pulled the return out of the water in the sump for a few minutes and it solved the issue. No more gurgling. The problem is, every time I hit the feed cycle on my aqua controller which shuts off the sump pump its going to cause air to get stuck in the return line to the sump. That's an issue.

When I have the return pump turned up high, which is the way I want it, the water level in the tank raises and the water in the overflow decreases. This is expected as the water is pushing through the system faster. When this happens though, the delta causes the water entering the overflow to "water fall" which is also noisy.

Once in a while I can get it running almost dead quiet, but I have no idea what happens. The planets align or something.

Any suggestions?

FishBeard

I heard a theory once about swamp gas reflecting off the moon during high tide, causing a magnetic shift in the Earth's Ionosphere, leading to the cataclysmic collapse of the Mayan civilization, which ultimately led to the atypical weather patterns we had this past harvest, causing a premature end to the prime window for picking quality sweet corn. And no one likes "mealy" corn at a barbeque. Sorry, I do not have anything to contribute to your sporatic overflow situation.

Bwidner

Where is the waterfall sound coming from? the overflow or down in the sump? If its the overflow some type of pre filter should at least help with this, I had the same issue on my old tank with the waterfall sound, and started adding a sponge prefilter that I changed every two weeks or so and it cut down on it quite a bit.

jcarlilesiu

Where is the waterfall sound coming from? the overflow or down in the sump? If its the overflow some type of pre filter should at least help with this, I had the same issue on my old tank with the waterfall sound, and started adding a sponge prefilter that I changed every two weeks or so and it cut down on it quite a bit.
It is at the overflow. Great suggestion. I already have some filter floss near there to cut down on the siphon break sound from the supply line. Ill give that a shot.

jcarlilesiu

I heard a theory once about swamp gas reflecting off the moon during high tide, causing a magnetic shift in the Earth's Ionosphere, leading to the cataclysmic collapse of the Mayan civilization, which ultimately led to the atypical weather patterns we had this past harvest, causing a premature end to the prime window for picking quality sweet corn. And no one likes "mealy" corn at a barbeque. Sorry, I do not have anything to contribute to your sporatic overflow situation.
Thanks for your help fishbeard.

:help (2):

poidog

you want to slow your return pump down to have the water in the overflow come up to the water level in your tank. This will a. stop the waterfall sound, b. stop air (or lessen the amount) being churned into your water and through the durso. My return line is submerged with no gurggle.

jcarlilesiu

you want to slow your return pump down to have the water in the overflow come up to the water level in your tank. This will a. stop the waterfall sound, b. stop air (or lessen the amount) being churned into your water and through the durso. My return line is submerged with no gurggle.
If I slow it down that much, I will have very little flow. My stand pipe is too tall I think.

poidog

Time to get a vortech. :) my return system is practically no flow. It all comes from the vortech.

FishBeard

Thanks for your help fishbeard.

:help (2):
Glad I was able to assist.

But in all seriousness now, I was doing a little research and found a possible answer. Is there any chance you could take a quick pic of your particular overflow piping, both at the water surface, and another of the piping leading into the sump. I may have a potential solution if your setup is compatible.

Tangency

Not sure if any of this will be of help...
My water level in my overflow is 2" lower than the rest of the tank. It took awhile for the hoses/pvc to get a slime coating and that really helped keep them quiet. My return pump is dialed back considerably. I remember reading somewhere that you should only have much less turnover in your sump/refugium. I subscribed to that theory, and use the powerheads for the majority of the flow.