Gyre pump

Cubano32

Premium member
Hey all so I'm looking to upgrade pump on my 35g deep blue frag tank. I been looking at those gyre pump and my question is anyone tell me the major difference between the icecap 3k gyre vs the xf230 gyre..only thing I can see is that the icecap rated for more flow but is cheaper then the 230 which is higher price.. is there something I'm missing

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GugsJr

TeamCR
I have the XF230 on my 120 Peninsula tank and it's a lot of flow. I have it set to 65, with my 2 MP40s on the opposite ends at 55% anything higher on either and it kicks my sand around. I'd don't know how that would be at the lowest setting in a 20x20x20 cube. The lowest setting I think is 20%

Cubano32

Premium member
I have the XF230 on my 120 Peninsula tank and it's a lot of flow. I have it set to 65, with my 2 MP40s on the opposite ends at 55% anything higher on either and it kicks my sand around. I'd don't know how that would be at the lowest setting in a 20x20x20 cube. The lowest setting I think is 20%
My tank is 36x18x12

york3rdbase

Premium member
I think it is just brand surrender, Maxspect vs Ice Cap. I agree, the 230 might be too much power. I have the 130 on my db34, and max out at 50/60%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cubano32

Premium member
Oh thought it was the Cube I agree look at the 130.

How are the frags doing by the way
There good not seeing any growth yet but they are still bright full color so as long as they are still alive I'm happy

Cubano32

Premium member
I think it is just brand surrender, Maxspect vs Ice Cap. I agree, the 230 might be too much power. I have the 130 on my db34, and max out at 50/60%

Ok cool..oh yea forgot you have the same tank as I do..I seen you had it on your tank main reason why I wanted to get one to be honest I just wanted a more spread out flow

Cubano32

Premium member

Is this the one you have

york3rdbase

Premium member
Yeah, you’ll be fine with the 130. Again, I think the price difference is just because of the brand.

GugsJr

TeamCR
There good not seeing any growth yet but they are still bright full color so as long as they are still alive I'm happy

Growth will take a bit. As long as they don't lose their color you're good

Cubano32

Premium member
Yeah, you’ll be fine with the 130. Again, I think the price difference is just because of the brand.

Well looks like the 130 is discontinued as well as the 150 ...so I'm going to have to go with this 3k gyre

JMalone81

They both might be too much flow. You might have to run it in the lowest setting.The 230 is the same as 130 just a new advanced controller that allows you to run 2 powerheads off of it. I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews on icecap. I run a 150 in the with 2 MP40 and absolutely love the amount of flow it out out

Cubano32

Premium member
They both might be too much flow. You might have to run it in the lowest setting.The 230 is the same as 130 just a new advanced controller that allows you to run 2 powerheads off of it. I’ve seen a lot of negative reviews on icecap. I run a 150 in the with 2 MP40 and absolutely love the amount of flow it out out
Hmm I heard th3 icecap may get a little loud. I don't mind running it on the lowest setting I just want to get more spread pattern with my flow

I have a 130, but I need to get the motor replaced. It was great in my 60 cube, it just gets clogged super easily. One of these days I'll replace the motor and maybe put it in a frag tank.

Ageno

Premium member
I purchased the 3k, pretty impressed. Tons of flow. Can’t beat it at that price.

Coral Man

Premium member
You pay for what you get, like jebao. Works great...but for how long? My rw’s been running for about 3-4 yrs.