hair algea a pest?

frostyjay1

not sure if this is the right spot but here goes. i have had a recent hair algea break out, and not sure how to handle it. any ideas would be great. thx

superslinky911

:lock1: lights out should probably put it on lock down. I know you said you got a turbo snail and chemicals are not cool but if all else fails keep algae fix marine in mind. Ive used it in the pass and seem to work

yesjenks

+1 on light out. When I had a problem I used a tooth brush to scrub my rocks off; make sure to syphon the loose hair out or it will spread.

I'm also guessing your phosphates are high? If so, try to figure out why. Lowering phosphates should be a permanent fix.

Good luck!!

frostyjay1

+1 on light out. When I had a problem I used a tooth brush to scrub my rocks off; make sure to syphon the loose hair out or it will spread.

I'm also guessing your phosphates are high? If so, try to figure out why. Lowering phosphates should be a permanent fix.

Good luck!!
i have a phosphate test kit but have never used it. the instructions are missing and i can view them online. i will take in a sample on sunday to a lfs and see. thx

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
i have a phosphate test kit but have never used it. the instructions are missing and i can view them online. i will take in a sample on sunday to a lfs and see. thx
Unless they are really high, test kits don't help much. You really need to have it measured by a meter to detect low levels. Generally speaking the best way to get rid of it is to reduce the source of the phosphates/nitrates. As an example; are you using rodi? What type of food and how often do you feed? Overfeeding is the #1 cause of algae coupled with poor nutrient export. You have a good skimmer? Fuge? Personally, I love to overfeed and get big fat fish, so I run GFO.

frostyjay1

my skimmer now is a seaclone 100, and i only feed once a day. i plan to get GFO my next trip to lfs. or put money on card and got to BRS. the new tank i have a ASM skimmer and plan on a fuge

EricTheRed

Sometimes rock can leach phosphates too. I used to have a bad case of it (like most people at some point) and GFO did the trick for me. After I ran the gfo I could brush it off with a toothbrush and it wouldn't grow back :)

Sometimes rock can leach phosphates too. I used to have a bad case of it (like most people at some point) and GFO did the trick for me. After I ran the gfo I could brush it off with a toothbrush and it wouldn't grow back :)
This also happened to me recently and a few weeks of GFO made a huge impact.

EricTheRed

Another thing that helps keep it off is to blow your rocks off before each water change to lift the detritus off the rock and into the water column for export. Turkey baster works, or better yet, a small powerhead that you hold in your hand to blow off the muck. Sometimes people are baffled about why they have algae when their phosphates are low....until they blow their rock.

Another thing that helps keep it off is to blow your rocks off before each water change to lift the detritus off the rock and into the water column for export. Turkey baster works, or better yet, a small powerhead that you hold in your hand to blow off the muck. Sometimes people are baffled about why they have algae when their phosphates are low....until they blow their rock.
OMG, I recently learned this. I now blast a couple times a week and my water stays pristine. It's amazing what the smallest changes can make.

Herbie

Banned
OMG, I recently learned this. I now blast a couple times a week and my water stays pristine. It's amazing what the smallest changes can make.
so this would be ablove and beyone running an MP10 on NTM for a few hours before a WC? Interesting. I gave up on that once I got the MP10. . .

EricTheRed

Yeah, i have an old mj pump that i hold in my hand. It is sooooooooooo much easier than pumping a dang turkey baster baster for 15 minutes. plug in the pump and I'm done with the whole tank in less than a minute :laugh:

EricTheRed

so this would be ablove and beyone running an MP10 on NTM for a few hours before a WC? Interesting. I gave up on that once I got the MP10. . .

I run 2 mp40 at 80% on ntm and can still blow detritus off my rock at any given moment...there are crevices and places that even the mighty vortechs cannot reach.

Yup. I do it just as the lights are dimming and it makes the water nice cloudy. I'm assuming live food bits get knocked into teh tank because my acans and other corals open up like mad and they start feeding. Even my Scolly flips inside out for this event.