Halide malfunction

emilybear91

Anyone know what it means if my halide lamp is turning off for a minute or two at random intervals about 15 times during the day?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Top Water

It sounds like a bad ballast. It heats up shorts goes out then cools and then fires up again.
If you have two lights just rotate ballast to verify I'm correct.

Last edited:

emilybear91

No, just one light. I do have an extra bulb but that wouldn't be it, would it?

Top Water

I don't think it's the bulb but can't rule that out. I had the exact problem in the past and it was a ballast.
That was the first thing I checked when I had the issue. What is it 400 250 175 or 150? Single end or double end bulb?

Last edited:

Mackch

Anyone know what it means if my halide lamp is turning off for a minute or two at random intervals about 15 times during the day?

Metal Halide lights cycle (turn of and on)when at the end of their life. Also HPS and MVR Lamps. I work and custom build many different types of HID Lights and that is the most common problem. The Gases in the lamp are not staying ignited. I have seen ballast go bad but most of the time its the lamp, When a MH lamps is at the end of its life it the gas wears out. The pressure in the tube increases and requires more voltage to keep it ignited, When the pressure in the tube gets to high the Ballast cannot supply it with the correct voltage and the lamp shuts down. . It could explode if the pressure reaches to high in the tube. best bet is remove it. But im highly doubting its the ballast. any questions ill try and help out. You are local I could check it out and see whats wrong. I have a 250de 14k here I can give ya its used but free.

Last edited:

emilybear91

Thanks guys. I'll mess with it later today. The whole fixture needs a cleaning anyways and I already have an extra bulb to try.

emilybear91

Thanks a lot Mackch! Nice meeting you. It's staying on still, and my corals are happy again.

It's the transformer/igniter I just replaced one in my 400MH as long as it's a magnetic unit & not a DEB
I went to Brew N grow & they had em in stock, Talkw/ Adam there, great guy