Hamilton Technology 250W 20K HQI Bulbs

labas39

I bought two [MENTION=3452]Hamilton Technology[/MENTION] 250W double ended bulbs a couple months ago now. These are the new redesigned bulbs that are supposed to be on PAR with Phoenix and bluer than the older design.

I have a PAR meter so I did some of my own tests. I compared 2 of my 5 month old Hamiltons to 2 of my 4 month old Phoenix to 2 of the new Hamiltons. I also tested just above the waters surface and about 3 inches below.

Here are the results:

@ Surface:
Old Hamilton: 240/240
Phoenix: 330/335
New Hamilton: 330/325

3 Inches Below:
Old Hamilton: 130/140
Phoenix: 170/180
New Hamilton:180/180

The new bulbs do have the same PAR readings as my used Phoenix. I didn't have new Phoenix to compare with and I'm not sure how much they lost.

As far as the color goes, that's obviously subjective. A friend of mine and I feel that the older design was a bit bluer but this new color is still pretty good. The old ones may have been bluer because I only gave the new bulbs a couple days to burn in.

As far as my acros go, they changed color to the better. As you know with this crazy hobby, I can't say for sure if it was the light or because I purposely started to change my water less frequently. Either way, things look great under these new bulbs.

labas39

elaborate please :) how much you used to do and how much you are doing now ? and what other things are you dosing other than the big3
I have approximately 100 gallons of water and I was changing about 20% per week. My acros seemed to lose color so I am now doing about 5% per week. With the bulb changes and less frequent water changes, thinks are good.

I use kalkwasser and a calcium reactor so I don't dose alk, calcium or magnesium separately.

MikeyB

Good stuff TD, Thanks!
I'm running single end bulbs myself, but i'm sure they are the same as the doubles. Maybe i'll have to try them out when its time to replace my phoenix's