Harlequin Shrimp question

madjoe

Premium member
I would guess they do. I personally seen one eat mini brittles so dont see why it wouldnt a serpent but i can be wrong

i've read a bunch of conflicting reports on harlequins and serpents and brittle stars...i've read that harlequins like stars that don't fight back when they're being flipped over and serpents and brittle stars would so YMMV...i just feed my hawaiian harlequin chocolate chips...i hate doing it but my harlequin needs to eat...

Rich130981

I kept one by feeding it brittle and serpent stars. The shrimp would chase the star and eventually rip off a leg. Then chow down. I had 4 stars that he fed off of until I sold him.

I kept one by feeding it brittle and serpent stars. The shrimp would chase the star and eventually rip off a leg. Then chow down. I had 4 stars that he fed off of until I sold him.
that's awesome! my harlequin just sits inside his cave on top of his chocolate chip all day and all night...he's beautiful but he never moves away from his dinner and i never get to see him really...

are brittles and serpents cheaper than CCs? i'd love to use other stars other than cc's since they aren't reef safe, however, they are very hardy and don't pollute the tank as fast with rotting flesh

SkunkerX

I have and abundance of asterina that I would like gone for the most part, they do eat those too right?

I was basically only wanting one for that task.

Spartanman22

I have and abundance of asterina that I would like gone for the most part, they do eat those too right?

I had a bad asterina star problem in an old tank and got a harlequin. He wiped them out completely!

Thegdp

I had a bad asterina star problem in an old tank and got a harlequin. He wiped them out completely!
I am having the same problem with the star fish could i add a harlequin shrimp to a 75 gal that already has a fire shrimp, skunk cleaner, and an orange.coral banded shrimp?

They will eat them but the problem is no matter how many you have they will consume all of them from your tank in a fairly short amount of time. You will then have to sell the harlequin or purchase stars to feed it or else they will starve to death.