Harlequin shrimp ?

carpetreef75

Premium member
Harlequin shrimp question , my 2 Harlequin shrimp have devoured just about every asterina and i bought a chocalate starfish and hearing to cut a foot off and let them have at it ..Anybody ever kept there Harlequin after the nuisance stars were gone ? i really want to keep these guys they are so cool .

fishyfish22

Premium member
I did before. You gotta stock up on chocolate chip starfish. I think there was a post before on cutting off legs of the chocolate chips and feeding those, alternating between stars since since legs grew back but I don't remember if the census decided whether that was cruel or not

carpetreef75

Premium member
I did before. You gotta stock up on chocolate chip starfish. I think there was a post before on cutting off legs of the chocolate chips and feeding those, alternating between stars since since legs grew back but I don't remember if the census decided whether that was cruel or not
thanks FF ,yes sounds cruel but lets just call it circle of life

Smitty

Premium member
You can come and grab the one out my sump..... I'll even try to grab a few dozen asteria stars that I can find in there.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

fishyfish22

Premium member
thanks FF ,yes sounds cruel but lets just call it circle of life
I think they'll also go for tuxedo urchins too. You can always stock up on sand sifting Stars when they're cheap.

I remember chocolate chips used to go on sale for $4 each. Nowadays they're much more.

Liveaquaria actually has has on sale right now funny enough

carpetreef75

Premium member
You can come and grab the one out my sump..... I'll even try to grab a few dozen asteria stars that I can find in there.

that works, thanks Buddy the incredible thing is a few weeks ago i had 100s & 100s and every morning netted 50 off the glass & flushed them and would of never believed these 2 lil harlequin would/could clean up every last one of them ..

Attachments

carpetreef75

Premium member
I think they'll also go for tuxedo urchins too. You can always stock up on sand sifting Stars when they're cheap.

I remember chocolate chips used to go on sale for $4 each. Nowadays they're much more.

Liveaquaria actually has has on sale right now funny enough

Thats a awesome price , i believe i paid 3Xs that last weekend , i watched 1 of them last night roll around a nassarius snail and after 20 mins peeled the live snail meat out of the shell and carried it back in the rockwork to munch on

View attachment 6083

Smitty

Premium member
that works, thanks Buddy the incredible thing is a few weeks ago i had 100s & 100s and every morning netted 50 off the glass & flushed them and would of never believed these 2 lil harlequin would/could clean up every last one of them ..
Yeah, they have a huge appetite for such a small creature.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Yeah, they have a huge appetite for such a small creature.

Thanks Smitty , yes HUGE appetite & i haven't had the heart to cut any legs off the chocolates yet i've been trying to keep a good supply in the basement tank and throw a couple dozen in .. never thought i'd ever be buying nuisance asterina stars off Egay :) lol