Has anyone been to Belize ?

tomek77pl

I am planning a scuba diving trip/snorkeling in August and I was wondering if anyone stayed there before. It is always nice to hear from people about their favorite spots.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Ive been and I dove on that reef. man o man was it gorgeous!!! enjoy your time there! what island are u stayingg at or you going to be staying in belize city?

tomek77pl

Ive been and I dove on that reef. man o man was it gorgeous!!! enjoy your time there! what island are u stayingg at or you going to be staying in belize city?
The plan so far is to stay about 4 days in san padro and 3 days in belize city. I plan to do alot of snorkeling by my self around san padro, as for diving I plan to do 3 dives in and around the blue hole reef, 2 tank dives around Turneffe North or Spanish Bay and lastly a night dive if the conditions work out.

rako1

Premium member
My neighbors are from there they see my reef and say I should go there it's so beautiful. They say it's the second largest reef in the world

Irsug1

Premium member
The seafood is awesome there. Watch out for bot Flys, the locals call them beef worms. Make sure to wear plenty of insect repellent at all times.

Rcunning8

Premium member
The plan so far is to stay about 4 days in san padro and 3 days in belize city. I plan to do alot of snorkeling by my self around san padro, as for diving I plan to do 3 dives in and around the blue hole reef, 2 tank dives around Turneffe North or Spanish Bay and lastly a night dive if the conditions work out.
Wow that sounds incredible!!! Three days in Belize city is a little much since there isn't a whole lot to do there outside of a museum and some tourist attractions but u will have fun nevertheless.. I wouldn't plan on doing any swimming around there as the water I quite polluted.. There is a Mayan ruin north of the city about two hours that is called Altun ha which would be cool to check out right near the border of Guatemala. San Pedro is where I did my diving and ull get to feed and swim with the nurse sharks!! I never got to go to the blue hole although I heard amazing things about that black coral that only grows there. San Pedro is one beautiful place pretty much anywhere u hop in u will see wild life and beautiful fish. Have fun man!!!

tomek77pl

Wow that sounds incredible!!! Three days in Belize city is a little much since there isn't a whole lot to do there outside of a museum and some tourist attractions but u will have fun nevertheless.. I wouldn't plan on doing any swimming around there as the water I quite polluted.. There is a Mayan ruin north of the city about two hours that is called Altun ha which would be cool to check out right near the border of Guatemala. San Pedro is where I did my diving and ull get to feed and swim with the nurse sharks!! I never got to go to the blue hole although I heard amazing things about that black coral that only grows there. San Pedro is one beautiful place pretty much anywhere u hop in u will see wild life and beautiful fish. Have fun man!!!
There are very cheap hotels in belize city, so I was thinking on doing my dives straight from there and do all the snorkeling by san padro and the belize cayes. I really want to check out the Mayan ruins so that can be put on the list. Did you drive privately to the ruins? or taken a tour?

tomek77pl

The seafood is awesome there. Watch out for bot Flys, the locals call them beef worms. Make sure to wear plenty of insect repellent at all times.
Wow now I am kind of scared of the bugs out there and will bring the strongest repellent I can find.

Rcunning8

Premium member
There are very cheap hotels in belize city, so I was thinking on doing my dives straight from there and do all the snorkeling by san padro and the belize cayes. I really want to check out the Mayan ruins so that can be put on the list. Did you drive privately to the ruins? or taken a tour?
Yea the hotels there are super cheap so if your planning on going to dive blue hole etc then I would recommend staying there as home base especially since that's where all the tour companies that will bring u to and from those attractions will be.. I was working in the central Belize prison down there giving medical care to the inmates and was staying with a family that gave me rides where I needed to go. I did use a tour company however that drove me across the border of Guatemala from Belize and they were excellent. Super cheap and nice accommodations. I remember seeing pictures of Altun ha on their walls so I'm assuming they offer rides up there. Unfortunately I don't recall the name of the company. All I can tell u is they were located by the tourist pier in Belize city right on the water where all the cruise ships go. If u decide to go to the ruins I wouldn't expect to pay more than 50 bucks to and from. Hope that helps!!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I was there for ten days over New Years. I can't say I loved it. I don't dive, so I can't comment on the diving. Snorkeling was awesome. Swimming with the nurse sharks and rays was awesome. I just didn't really like San Pedro too much. We went to a Kaye Caulker for a day, and the vibe there is so much better. It's a much younger international crowd. San Pedro is big resorts and families while Kaye Caulker is more like hostels and small hotels.

Drinking beer in golf carts and flying though jungle at night in the golf cart was pretty fun. I definitely prefer Nicaragua over Belize, but if I had to go back, I'd be on Kay Caulker.

tomek77pl

I was there for ten days over New Years. I can't say I loved it. I don't dive, so I can't comment on the diving. Snorkeling was awesome. Swimming with the nurse sharks and rays was awesome. I just didn't really like San Pedro too much. We went to a Kaye Caulker for a day, and the vibe there is so much better. It's a much younger international crowd. San Pedro is big resorts and families while Kaye Caulker is more like hostels and small hotels.

Drinking beer in golf carts and flying though jungle at night in the golf cart was pretty fun. I definitely prefer Nicaragua over Belize, but if I had to go back, I'd be on Kay Caulker.
I will try to stay a night or two there, Did you remember how much the fare was to get to the island? I'm guessing the golf carts were on san padro?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I will try to stay a night or two there, Did you remember how much the fare was to get to the island? I'm guessing the golf carts were on san padro?
Yeah, there are very few cars in San Pedro. Almost all golf carts. I think the ferry from San Pedro to Kaye Caulker is something like $15-20 round trip.

lemec

Kaye Caulker was ok, but it did get a bit boring by because it was so small. One cool thing we had there was at the local bar, one of the guitarist that was playing had been someone that played with Bob Marley on a regular basis...let's of Dutch people there too.

tomek77pl

[video=youtube;z-RhhYqeH_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-RhhYqeH_I&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here is one video that kind of shows the state of corals on the reef. I apologize for the video quality but I recorded with a go-pro 3 with a red tinted lens.( 1:35 is where the shark came by to say hello)

tomek77pl

[video=youtube;8IfCEq5pZyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IfCEq5pZyM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2:45 is when an Moray Eel says Hi.