Having trouble with some corals.....

york3rdbase

Premium member
I have a few colonies of zoas that have been closed up for a few days now, and not sure why. I have tried moving them around to different locations, high up, on the sand bed, nothing seems to help? Any feedback would be helpful.

Just tested with the Reef Master Test Kit
Nitrates - 0
Phosphates - 0
Alk- 8
Calc - 480

superchargedgp

looks like you need more light. but sometimes they just close up, and then open up out of nowhere or melt. I had few colonies melt for no reason

cet98

I'm not a zoa expert but I would think moving them around constantly would not be a good thing....
at this point I would prolly suggest you place them on the sandbed in an area with good flow and leave them alone.
I'd also do a good size water change to insure good water quality...in time they should bounce back....but that is just my opinion....

york3rdbase

Premium member
I'll try that and see what happens .. Thank you.. I did have them in the same spot for 3 weeks.. They were fine at first and then closed.. On one colony.. I think half have shriveled up and are gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tinman

what light are you using and at what intenisty .. more often than not zoas die cause water is too clean for them ..

in some cases thought they end up gone if you dont match the light they came from .. there seems to be more than couple polyps in your pics .. did they all grow in your tank >??

york3rdbase

Premium member
Those are how I bought them. I'm using a Finnex Ray 2... Too clean of water isn't something I have had to deal with, always have had nitrates register around 5 with my test kit, however I just did a 5gallon change in my 17 gallon tank the other day for the first time with my RO/DI system. But I have had these zoas for 4 weeks now, started closing up about 2 weeks ago and most have been closed for the last 5-7 days

york3rdbase

Premium member
The large colony was what I thought to be a nice find at the AqEx ... It was doing really well I thought for a while

reefer chris

zoas are stretching...so more flow and..or..more light....and nitrates and phos...are not zero with the algea...slime...cyano...and bubble on those rocks

Gav

What's the temp at and what fish do you have jn the tank? I've had trouble with zoas in the past and have found a few predators like very small nudibranchs that can cause them to close up. I've seen asterina stars eating them as well. You might want to try dipping them in Coral Rx if you do see asterina stars or purchase a harlequin shrimp.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

york3rdbase

Premium member
Temp is 78. I do have asterina stars but not a lot of them. Might need to try some dip I guess. A few have opened since, but only 2 or 3 heads out of 20+