Heat removal

P.Olsen

Anyone have a clever idea to use MH lighting in a 10" canopy? I am only running 4 x 160 VHO currently on my 210. I really want to add a couple clams but with my 30" depth and ony having 10" for a canopy have kept me from doing it. Its gotta be retro in the canopy thats the catch. Currently there are 4 4" fans 1 on each side pushing and 2 on the back pulling and even the VHO's get warmed up pretty good.

misenplace101

10" is not a lot Of room to work with with MH. Most restro reflectors are 4" or more and this will not leave you a whole lot of room tO work in your tank.

how about removing the top of the canopy and run fans across the surface of the water.

Good luck.

Smitty

Premium member
The only suggestion I would of had was to add fans, but you already have them...I know a few people who have removed the rear panel of the canopy to help the air circulate and the tank breath.

P.Olsen

Trying to avoid a chiller, I would rather run the VHO than have 1 just because of the cost of it and to run it for a 210. I was thinking about cutting the top and mounting reflectors on top of the canopy and the back panel was already removed.

EyeReef

You can keep clams or any sps with t-5 and good reflectors..you can fit them in the canopy and it wont produce as much heat.

Smitty

Premium member
You can keep clams or any sps with t-5 and good reflectors..you can fit them in the canopy and it wont produce as much heat.
True...but t-5's still produce just as much heat, just spreaded out more evenly vs the mh directing heat in one spot.

P.Olsen

T5 is even not a real option because my tank is 30" deep. Ecoxotic makes a nice LED retro but they are never in stock and no update from them on availability which makes me a bit cautious not to mention the $2400 price tag, what if I need a part down the road........

misenplace101

there is a local guy who sells diy led's. If i'm allowed I'll post his website. He stands behind his product and a great guy too.