Heaters, what do you prefer, why?

Mjl714

I've got a couple of the Cobalt Neotherm's, I'm a little nervous about them based on reading about some failures. The only reason I have them is after years of successful and dedicated ebo jager use, I got one that was not very stable, so I decided to try the electronic circuitry of the Neotherms.

jrpark22000

Premium member
My neotherm was a hot mess. Monitored it's built in thermostat via apex and it was all over the place like a rabid crack head zombie with ADD, OCD and tourette’s. There a pic of a sample graph in my pico thread.

I’m a jager guy. By far the most trusted heaters other than titanium, which don’t have heat controller built in. So for an all in one, it’s just hard to beat jager.

mlott132

I really liked my old Finnex heaters. They had a remote digital display and remote temp sensor. Maintained temperature spot on. Little dissapointed now as their new heaters do not include a remote temp sensor. Have an Apex now so I use that to stage my heaters.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
In do finnex titanium controlled by RK too. I have a 500 and a 300 watt. The 500 is set to 78.7 and the 300 is set to 78.2 (just inncase the 500 would fail. By the way, I have had one of these fail in the past.

markitekt

In do finnex titanium controlled by RK too. I have a 500 and a 300 watt. The 500 is set to 78.7 and the 300 is set to 78.2 (just inncase the 500 would fail. By the way, I have had one of these fail in the past.
I had 2 Finnex heaters. One nearly literally shocked the shit out of me and the other just stopped working. I've been using Hagen Fluval heaters for a few years and zero problems. Can't beat the deal either. Under $25. I'll be making a system using my house water heater and ditching electric heaters all together.

tinman

I have to go look what im using on my big tank :) have been using the same ones from the begining .. 2 150 watt heaters both controlled by rkl and they seem totally fine

Sent from my iPhone

Eheim jager controlled via Apex. I have gone through a lot of heaters. All the plastic ones just suck. A marineland one melted and took out all but two of my fish a few years back ever since that it'll either be glass or metal.

1jwampler

I use reef octopus titanium on my 150, 150W in the sump 300W in the overflow, two Apex Temp probes, one in the sump one in the overflow. Typical temperature variation in either area of the tank is < .2 degrees, had finex titanium prior, used more energy and they skimped on the titanium, the surface was 1/2 that of the reef octopus. They are discontinued now, but, pretty readily available on eBay and other sources, and since discontinued pretty cheap. Don't be fooled by the price, the larger diameter distributes the heat much more even and the cord is 2x heaver than Finex, or others I have tried.
http://www.coralvue.com/clearance-titanium-aquarium-heaters
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271328428476?var=570242630507
My signature is live reeftronix temp and pH.

Mjl714

My neotherm was a hot mess. Monitored it's built in thermostat via apex and it was all over the place like a rabid crack head zombie with ADD, OCD and tourette’s. There a pic of a sample graph in my pico thread.

I’m a jager guy. By far the most trusted heaters other than titanium, which don’t have heat controller built in. So for an all in one, it’s just hard to beat jager.
In all the years I've owned these never had a catastrophic problem or been zapped.