Heelllllllpppppp!

Burntrack

I purchased a used 75 gallon aquarium yesterday and it has what seems to be dried sand at the bottom. It is rock hard and impossible to remove. Any suggestions on how to remove this sand without damaging the tank. I have it soaking in vinegar and water overnight.... That has done nothing so far. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

jrpark22000

Premium member
Assuming it's a glass tank if you have a fresh/new razor blade, you can try scraping it off. As long as you keep the blade flat on the glass it shoulnd't scratch, unless the blade has a chip or ding in it. If it's acrylic, you will need to buff scratches out afterwards.

Burntrack

Assuming it's a glass tank if you have a fresh/new razor blade, you can try scraping it off. As long as you keep the blade flat on the glass it shoulnd't scratch, unless the blade has a chip or ding in it. If it's acrylic, you will need to buff scratches out afterwards.
Thanks for the advice. I did that for the side glass. I should have been more detailed. There is this dried sand on the bottom of the tank. Maybe about 1/2 inch and rock hard.

jrpark22000

Premium member
wow, sounds nasty. Maybe warm water like Mai suggested, just don't heat vinegar up too much. The vapors aren't good for the lungs. Other than a stronger acid, I'm not sure what else to try, maybe someone else has had to deal with it too.

Burntrack

Hopefully the water will work. I will keep you all posted. So far it's been in there over night and half of the day and nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty

Premium member
Maybe try taking the tank to one of those car washes with the high powered spray hose to chip away at it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trackfast

Princess Trainer
If you're using diluted vinegar try using it straight. If that doesn't work maybe muriatic acid then?

Joe5688

False sand beds give u a solid base for your rock and it makes it so ur damn gobys dont make huge mounds haha. You add a small layer of loose sand on top and ur done

Burntrack

If it doesn't loosen up in a couple days I will just clean it up and put a deep sand bed on top of it.

Burntrack

So I took a closer look at the sand bed and it appears that someone before me used a product that sets up like concrete. I cleaned the tank and I'm going to put a deep sand bed on top of what's already in there. I appreciate the help.

Joe5688

It's a good thing to have what you have. You have a nice solid base to put your rock so it's not on the glass. How deep of a bed you gonna do

anarchy

I wonder if the person that had it set up before had calcium levels over 500 and solidified the sand. Not sure if thatd work the same though

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

carpetreef75

Premium member
I wonder if the person that had it set up before had calcium levels over 500 and solidified the sand. Not sure if thatd work the same though

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Yes it would , bought a set-up thru a divorce sale and the sand was calcified ..soaked with hot water and muriatic acid OUTSIDE and got it clean to start over with new sand