Hello (again?)

driftin

Hi all, just found this forum so a (re)introduction. I use the same screen name on other boards.

We have a 70 gallon tank, almost a cube in shape. Was set up ~2006 with rock from a previous setup. Went through a serious period of decline when our kids were born, although managed to keep a fair amount of euphyllia, anemones, monti's and flame angels through it. Have been getting it back up now, focusing on getting rid of the turf algae that took over. It will be a mixed tank, LPS and SPS. Doing some things a bit different this time - new pumps and flow, redid the sump and set up an algae turf scrubber instead of macro in the sump.

Some new LPS pieces are doing great, but the SPS is off to a rocky start already. Grabbed two acro frags recently. One brought in an acro crab (sweet), the other brought in AEFW (nuts). So further acro's are on hold for a while during treatment...

jrpark22000

Premium member
:welcome2: to chicagoreefs Jim. Love to see some pics even if it is in bad shape, any tank that age is doing somethings right

driftin

: Love to see some pics even if it is in bad shape, any tank that age is doing somethings right
Thanks for the welcomes, I'll have to grab some recent photos. It's a nice reminder that despite some nuisance algae and a bunch of empty rocks, the system has been pretty stable over time. I have had hiccups over the years, overdosing kalk, flatworms, red bugs, etc.

I'm embarrassed to admit how long I let the tank go essentially unmaintained. No water changes, no bulb changes, no Alk/Ca/Mg supplements, for a long time no food even. Only RODI for the auto-top-off, and temperature control. It's amazing how the inhabitants survived. The flame angels thrived grazing on the live rock (never stopped their mating rituals), the euphyllia went dormant but survived, the RBTA's always looked the same as ever.

Now that the system is back up I've dialed in the Alk/CA supplements, got the lighting back in a maintenance schedule, and as mentioned am trying a turf scrubber for nutrient control along with the skimmer. It is the turf algae that built up (I think it's turf, might also be a red cotton algae?) that's been my biggest headache. Can't seem to find a scavenger that eats this stuff. Manual removal has helped but any stray strand that lands seems to find a foothold.

driftin

Yeah, I bought two turbos at Old Orchard a couple weeks ago. I might buy a few more because I can't see any difference but I had read they were a good option. As far as I can tell the hermits, tuxedo urchin, and other snails in the tank don't touch it.