Hello everybody!!!

rozdab

Hello, mine name is Bill and I am an aquarium junkie. Lol aren't we all if we are on this forum.

I have been keeping planted tanks with fish/dwarf shrimp for quite some time now but have recently moved and plan to be in the current house for awhile. My wife can do with out the freshwater tanks but loves saltwater. Soooo it's time to take the leap to saltwater!!!

I am getting a turn key 57g rimless RR tank in a few weeks with all the fixings and I'm pretty excited about the whole prospect. I went turn key as I was doing research and looking on what to purchase and if to go new or buy slightly used when I found a set up I like in tank size and equipment. It works for me and I like that I get it all at once cause even though people with aquariums are suppose to be patient, I definitely have none when it comes to setting up a new tank.

I plan on snapping some pix/starting a build thread during the moving process and posting on this forum as I'm really happy we have a local forum with all the resources you need to have a successful tank.

As I'm a salt noob I'm sure I will have lots of questions for all of you in the future.

It's nice to meet you all and I will be around checking in seeing what's new and of course drooling over all the sales threads.

Also, what's up jayjigga!!! You remember me from your planted tank days? Good to see you on here.

Steve1986

:welcome20smiles:
Glad your taking the leap. Don't be afraid to ask questions and read as much as you can and you will do just fine.

frostyjay1

Hello. great to have another western burber. I am in Aurora. Ask away and good luck. Getting the turn key system is great, but it still will take patience to go thru the cycle and getting things rolling.

rozdab

Thank you all for the very nice welcome.

The set up I'm getting is still running.

Has anyone ever moved a tank from one house to another without losing anything? Any tips?

I plan on putting corals and livestock in seperate bags and putting them in a cooler for the ride. I'm not to concerned with that part or the live rock for that matter.

My two big concerns are the sump and the sand bed.

I don't know if I should drain all the water but a few inches to cover the live sand bed or drain it all? Any experience?

I'm a little nervous to move a tank partially filled espically a rimless but this tank does have a nice bracket along side the bottom.

I will be prepared for a cycle and am hoping it won't be a full one. I will have someone hold the fauna if it does or my back can't handle the multiple water changes everyday. Whichever comes first.

frostyjay1

Where to begin.... first with your livestock, you have the right idea. you NEED to keep the live rock in tank water to keep the bacteria alive. for moving the tank, Keep a little bit of the sand, but you should either rinse the heck out of the rest or better to just replace it and seed new sand with the little bit you kept. The rock needs to stay in tact because its your filtration. for the tank I would move it empty. You will get a mini cycle, but you can use dr. tims and with the already seeded live rock, it should not be too bad. When it does mini cycle, the worst thing you can do is daily water changes. it prolongs the cycle. It can definitely be done, but it will be a lot of work.

DD

"Rambo"
Thank you!!!

Anyone know where to get Dr Tims one and only locally?
Aquapros would probably be the closest to you.

Last time I looked, which was a while ago, he had it but didn't have the reef formula, just the saltwater one. Not sure what the difference is lol.

jayjigga

I think I PIF'd you plants before, or at least sold you a bunch on the super cheap! Glad to run into you again on the forum. I'll check the build soon.