Hello everyone

kamasi83

My name is Karl, I'm 30 years old from Lisle, and I'm new to reef keeping. I have a 20H that I have had set up for a couple months with a few zoas, palys, and other lps. I'm on a budget and prefer the satisfaction of DIY projects. Thank you in advance for all the advice and help I'm sure I will be asking for in the future.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk

Pufferpunk

Welcome! Get yourself a hard toothbrush & brush all that hair algae off your rocks & do a water change, before it gets any worse!

SkullV

Welcome! I've DIYd a ton of stuff for my tanks over the years. The satisfaction is one part but also the knowledge of exactly what the unit does and how to repair it makes a world of difference. Glad to have you on board!

kamasi83

Welcome! Get yourself a hard toothbrush & brush all that hair algae off your rocks & do a water change, before it gets any worse!
I've been putting it off until I get my 10000K leds in. Right now I'm running a 6500K strip light and a 50/50 t8. But I agree it's getting pretty hairy. You think I should maybe keep the 6500 off?

SkullV

I've been putting it off until I get my 10000K leds in. Right now I'm running a 6500K strip light and a 50/50 t8. But I agree it's getting pretty hairy. You think I should maybe keep the 6500 off?

You going to do 10k with added blue supplement?

kamasi83

You going to do 10k with added blue supplement?
That's the plan anyway :)
I was thinking of building my own with 30w of 10k and another 10-15w of actinic. Does that sound like enough wattage for a 20 gal?

Last edited:

Pufferpunk

If you don't keep up with the hair algae NOW (daily), you'll be overwhelmed with it quickly! I see you already have SPS in there, pristine water at all times is necessary for their survival.

kamasi83

Well then I'll grab a toothbrush and start scrubbing. Thanks for the heads up Pufferpunk.