Hello from the western burbs

Quicksilver

Hi everyone, I have had freshwater tanks for about 20 years on/off. Took a break after having we had kids and got a dog, now my little ones are interested and looking to start setup a nano tank with my recently purchased Biocube 29. Kids are excited and I'm anxiously waiting on my delivery of water and live sand. I currently have a 60 gallon acrylic tank (no bulkheads) that is up and running with South American Cichlids and Tetras. Debating on rehoming the freshwater fish and using the 60 gallon tank for saltwater. Hope to utilize the experts on here on any potential issues I may run across. Thinking of going with live sand, live rock, some coral in the future after the tank has been up and running for a few months. The kids and I have been thinking of getting some of following for the tank once cycled. Does anyone have any concern with them getting along, want fish that get no bigger than 3-4" and will live for the most part peacefully. Open to suggestions on other type of medium priced and hardy fish. I have had African Cichlids and loved that they could handle anything but I don't need my kids to see fish being killed.
  • black clownfish x1
  • Firefish x2-3
  • Neon Goby x1-2
  • Pajama Cardnial x1
  • Kaudern Cardinal x1
  • Half blue damselfish x1
  • 6 line wrasse x1
  • Zebra dartfish x2
  • cleaning crew
  • royal gramma basslet x1

ultimatemj

Welcome!

The only fish on your list that are "an aggression risk" are the damselfish, 6 line wrasse, and the basslet. But they will likely be fine together if there is enough space and "homebase" nooks for everyone. If space is tight, or it doesn't have an anemone home, add the clown to the list of aggression risk.

That said, I'd probably skip the damsel and pick either the 6 line or the basslet to reduce the risk and make it easier to add something later else that catches your fancy.

Quicksilver

Thank you for the input, I'll take the damsel off the list. I will eventually get anemone but plan on initially having lots of nooks for all of them to hide. Any idea on a how many I can place in a 29 gallon tank?

jrwoltman

:welcome2:

- - - Updated - - -

5-8 fish and I would only add a couple fish a month, so you don't overwhelm your biological filter.
Then, start with the least aggressive, and add the most aggressive last.

Last edited:

jrwoltman

Thank you for the input, I'll take the damsel off the list. I will eventually get anemone but plan on initially having lots of nooks for all of them to hide. Any idea on a how many I can place in a 29 gallon tank?
In a Biocube, I would say only 1; depending on type, they can get pretty large and even split off into numerous anemones . If you are planning on more than 1, keep in mind they move around until they get settled and any corals unfortunate enough to be in their path will get stung.

Quicksilver

Thanks, didn't know that they could split off into numerous ones. I'll do my research beforehand but will now most likely wait to move to a larger tank before getting into anemones.

Mjl714

Welcome to CR. As far as fish, we love our Starry Blenny, great personality, not agressive, might be to big for your tank, perhaps consider a smaller blenny?

Choseneball

I would start with introducing the smallest fish first on the list and work up to the biggest last. and not all the fish thrown in one day. mostly because if the lvl are off you won't kill them all at once first day . saltwater does take having an ro/di water filter. if you don't have one yet i suggest looking for a used one to start with.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk