Help!! AEFW??

Rcunning8

Premium member
High guys came home today and noticed somthing very peculiar about my most recent frag addition I got one week ago. I dip everything before I put it in and this one I used the same dip as always. Seachem coral disinfectant

Anyways I was looking at the new frag, I like to buy brown ones to get them to color up to maybe somthing nice and I noticed a white patch on it. The patch isn't moving or anything and after further inspection there are white little patches all over the acro. Only one is able to be seen with these pics..

I have taken the frag out of the tank and placed in the sump in a Tupperware container that is floating in the sump water separated from the water of the system but still being heated from the system. I will throw the frag out no problem since it only cost me ten dollars I just want to observe it more to see if it gets worse. This is not a bite mark from any of my fish and this is not a broken branch. Remember that there are about ten other smaller spots on the frag that cannot be seen in these pics.. I don't see any eggs and everything else in the tank looks great. I'm going to be extremely upset if a ten dollar frag ends up trashing all the beautiful acros I have in this system.. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do outside of removing the frag and how I can diagnose aefw if it is indeed that.. Thanks guys!!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had these guys about 10 years ago and that does not look like a bite mark, but it may be. They are much smaller and usually looked liked clustered dots. I'm not sayimg not to be cautious, just make sure the diagnoses is exactly that before discarding it. Dipping and quarantining are a good approach, its a smart move. AEFW aren't the end of the world, just a PITA. Monti Nudis are the end of the world, now those suck.

BigKev23

I would get some better coral dip. Either Coral RX from a fish store or Bayer from Home Depot.

Rcunning8

Premium member
the big one dont look like aefw to me to bright and white
Yea the big white thing is just a 5 mm patch of skeleton no aefw present my understanding of aefw is that they eat a patch of flesh and then move onto a different area and eat a patch there then move again and keep doing that. The thing is I can't think of anything else that causes little isolated areas of necrosis. That being said I also don't see any critters crawling around in this piece or any piece for that matter

madjoe

Premium member
Yea the big white thing is just a 5 mm patch of skeleton no aefw present my understanding of aefw is that they eat a patch of flesh and then move onto a different area and eat a patch there then move again and keep doing that. The thing is I can't think of anything else that causes little isolated areas of necrosis. That being said I also don't see any critters crawling around in this piece or any piece for that matter
If u dont care about that piece fw dip it if there is any u will see them turn white and fall off if u dont put back in will be faded or bleached but u be amazed what they can survive i use to dip em in hot water while fight aefw yrs ago

Rcunning8

Premium member
If u dont care about that piece fw dip it if there is any u will see them turn white and fall off if u dont put back in will be faded or bleached but u be amazed what they can survive i use to dip em in hot water while fight aefw yrs ago
Thanks man how long should I fw dip for? Also could u clarify that last statement if I don't put back in it will be faded? What does that mean?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Doesn't look like aefw to me. Can you get a shot of the other spots. Every now and then, my corals will get a tiny spot of dead tissue here and there. It's mostly when I let my nutrients spoke up a little.

Aefw bite marks are more faint and there would be lots of them. Try blasting some of your corals with a turkey baster and see what FTS off. I'd anything flys off, try to sucking into the baster where you can get a good look. That's how I confirmed I had aefw about two years ago.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Doesn't look like aefw to me. Can you get a shot of the other spots. Every now and then, my corals will get a tiny spot of dead tissue here and there. It's mostly when I let my nutrients spoke up a little.

Aefw bite marks are more faint and there would be lots of them. Try blasting some of your corals with a turkey baster and see what FTS off. I'd anything flys off, try to sucking into the baster where you can get a good look. That's how I confirmed I had aefw about two years ago.
U can see them pretty good right below the big one in the first pic but lemme take some more close ups to get a better view!!

Rcunning8

Premium member
Well apparently whatever this is it has progressed significantly over past couple hours.. Is it possible for aefws to eat this fast especially if I can't see any on this frag? I have not had rtn of anything in the longest time. When I used to get rtn a couple years ago when I was new to the hobby it didn't look like this where a patch would appear in the middle of an acro and I especially never had one acro do it when every other acro in the tank looks perfect right next to it. Usually when I had somthing rtn all of the acros would look terrible and one would bite the dust until I figured out what was up.

Params
Alk 8.5
Ca 460
Nitrate 2

Rcunning8

Premium member
[MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION] to see the smaller patches if u look close right below the big patch u will see them they are tiny..

tinman

its stn ... not Aefw IMO .. sps coral loose skin for trillion reasons .. most commonly when nutrients raise up .. if there are enough aefw in your system to cause that big patch of bite marks .. almost all acros in your tank will have bite marks by now.. :)

madjoe

Premium member
Thanks man how long should I fw dip for? Also could u clarify that last statement if I don't put back in it will be faded? What does that mean?
Its dont take long to start seeing stuff fall off in fw if there r aefw the turn white pretty quick then fall off in like a min or so . I meant if u dont see any fall off then put it back in tank it will probably look pale and crappy but can recover . But i agree with everyone else it dont look like aefw to me .