help me take better pictures

kratos1028

Its been awhile since I posted a new thread on here. Miss the pictures I would post. Planning on setting another tank up soon but in the mean time, I have been going around taking pictures trying to better them and learn from the mistakes. I recently started taking pictures in RAW and editing in lightroom. Here are a few pictures I took. Please tell me if you see any areas I can improve on or anything else I can do with lightroom to make the picture better. I tried to edit them after RAW to as close as possible to how it looked to the naked eye.

I took the pictures in Program mode switching between auto focus and manual focus. What settings do you guys use when taking pics as RAW?

Last edited:

lunacris

you titled the thread wrong ...should be let me help you take better pics lol. only thing i see is the first pic and its not just you but i think anyone who takes pics and tries to get it to look real as far as color pop as we see to blind eye , the rocks and surroundings always come out looking a blue/grey tint, im no pro and not even sure it can be fixed when adjusting the color and still get the real look of the coral . by no means is it a bad pic they are all stunning ! great job

kratos1028

you titled the thread wrong ...should be let me help you take better pics lol. only thing i see is the first pic and its not just you but i think anyone who takes pics and tries to get it to look real as far as color pop as we see to blind eye , the rocks and surroundings always come out looking a blue/grey tint, im no pro and not even sure it can be fixed when adjusting the color and still get the real look of the coral . by no means is it a bad pic they are all stunning ! great job

Haha. Or, title it, let me help you help me take better pics :)

The blue tint is from the lights the anemone was under. I tried to keep a little tint there. But would it look better without the tint?

Last edited:

Tkroll0321

Premium member
Not really a criticism but something I heard from my photography professors all the time was try not to center all of your subjects.

Obviously easier said than done with macro/close up shots. Just always be conscious of the rule of thirds and try to frame some images differently.

Aside from that they really look great! I wish I could get back to photography again but I was always obsessed with film. With kids and no dark room that's impossible now.

kratos1028

Not really a criticism but something I heard from my photography professors all the time was try not to center all of your subjects.

Obviously easier said than done with macro/close up shots. Just always be conscious of the rule of thirds and try to frame some images differently.

Aside from that they really look great! I wish I could get back to photography again but I was always obsessed with film. With kids and no dark room that's impossible now.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

get_armbarred

I'm with tkroll here. I think offsetting some subjects will pay off for you. Be aware of the rule of thirds. Besides that you have some absolutely amazing pics in there.

kratos1028

Here are a few more. Is it possible to some how remove the fence in front of the leopard? Its hard getting a clear picture with the fence in the way. Anything wrong with these pictures that I can improve on?

Besides this, I will work on the 3rd rule and see what I can capture.

Tangency

Nice photos.

Here are a few more. Is it possible to some how remove the fence in front of the leopard? Its hard getting a clear picture with the fence in the way. Anything wrong with these pictures that I can improve on?

You could try physically getting closer to the fence and using a larger aperture to blur out the foreground and focus on the subject. You ideally want as much separation between the subject and foreground as possible.