Help Trying to figure out lighting needs for Frag tank 48x24x12

I will be buying Roskos frag tank and now I have to come up with lighting ideas. I would like something that would be dimmable either manually or with timer I dont know of any light switches that will do that other than the radions. I know we have a bunch of sponsers which I will start contacting but would would you recommend for this setup I have seen nothing but good things with this site

http://www.buildmyled.com/custom-reef-spectrum/ -- these are 308.99 with a manual dim switch. for a 48" fixiture the tank is 48 inches long so that would be perfect I would be hanging these

or should I just hold out for Radions? or get something from Coral Compulsion? Any suggestions would help for this frag tank. It is shallow so Im not too worried about par ratings as most LED fixtures will suffice I really like the 14k or even 20k look more deeper blues.

MrDemonicAngel

Gamma 36 from Prestige LED...thats what I just placed an order for...seems to have overall positive feedback...you get the LED in addition to the T5

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Im thinking about going LEDS myself as I want to get away from changing T5's.. I have this over my frag tank, which is a mixed reef

I have the Coral Compulsion fixture and love it. Would recommend 2 fixtures over your tank

Few other members have these fixtures and are happy also

Notice that it has one plug and its dimmable.. Also has a built in timer which controls both channels. Also its well vented!!

Hope this helps ;)

Yeah I cant change out bulbs every so often so I would like to stick to LED's only one less expense would make wife happier! Do they make the 36" model without T5's? just curious anyone have any FTS with these lights on? I like all the features of it so far

-Smart Wireless Remote- anyone know what that means is it an actual remote that I can use without touching the fixture to control color temp? Also very gimmicky I know but does it have thunderstorm mode and cloudy etc?

Thanks again guys for the input

MrDemonicAngel

from the information I gathered prior to placing the order....if you set the T5s to only 4-5 hours a day....it should last you a good 2-3 years....thats according to Gus (Prestige LED)...$20 per bulb x 4 bulbs over 2-3 years is not bad for a lighting system that is so diverse

DD

"Rambo"
Yeah I cant change out bulbs every so often so I would like to stick to LED's only one less expense would make wife happier! Do they make the 36" model without T5's? just curious anyone have any FTS with these lights on? I like all the features of it so far

-Smart Wireless Remote- anyone know what that means is it an actual remote that I can use without touching the fixture to control color temp? Also very gimmicky I know but does it have thunderstorm mode and cloudy etc?

Check out prestige-led's website. If you send Gus a message he will get back to you really quickly.

As for the thunderstorms and cloudy modes, I'm not sure that the corals really care. They just want light. I read several things about people not even using the features because you want to see your corals in full light. IMO I think you hit the nail right on the head about "gimmicky".

Hope that helps Moe.

rosko23

No thunderstorm or clouds. And remote allows u to control the LEDs without touching the fixture.

Thanks Rosko, haha im Pm'ing you and repling to this thread.

I was also looking into maybe two fixtures of this SPS-55

Full Customized Spectrum
Low Heat Output
Auto Dimming sunrise/sunset Effect
>5 year bulb life
Average Yearly Cost-$75.00
Fixture- $250-$300

If I wanted to go all LED would it make more sense to buy two of these for the shallow reef tank? or still stick to the 36" model?

rosko23

Thanks Rosko, haha im Pm'ing you and repling to this thread.

I was also looking into maybe two fixtures of this SPS-55

Full Customized Spectrum
Low Heat Output
Auto Dimming sunrise/sunset Effect
>5 year bulb life
Average Yearly Cost-$75.00
Fixture- $250-$300

If I wanted to go all LED would it make more sense to buy two of these for the shallow reef tank? or still stick to the 36" model?
All depends on what u wanna keep in tank. I'm a fan of t5's. the radions grew on me but are $$$$.... So that's why the gamma are best bet:

ColaAddict

Get the SPS 55 and ask gus to remove the optics. You dont meed optics for shallow tank and no optics will make the fixture cover a larger area

dohc97

Moe, talk to madjoe and ask him for a link for his ebay led light. If im not mistaken the price is now down to 200 or 225 per fixture. 2 of those fixtures will work good in your tank and they look pretty good to me(im against led by the way).

Hey Jose! I just PM'ed him hopefully I can take a look at his setups.

Moe, talk to madjoe and ask him for a link for his ebay led light. If im not mistaken the price is now down to 200 or 225 per fixture. 2 of those fixtures will work good in your tank and they look pretty good to me(im against led by the way).