Help with anemone in a 90 gallon reef

siner_1988

Hey there ChicagoReefers

I have a 90 gallon reef tank with soft coral everywhere in that tank and I will like to add a bubble tip anenome, but scared that it may sting my coral or kill them. Any suggestions on how to place the anenome in my tank?

Thanks in advance :)

SkullV

Place it with medium light and medium flow. In all honesty though that is a general guideline. It is going to move to where it wants to be. Some of them end up liking low light and some of them like to bake.

Herbie

Banned
one of the guys at MCF told me you can sort of stake them in with a chopsticks like a wedge next to them (Not pierced at all) so they feel comfortable. Have you ever heard that Ted?

SkullV

one of the guys at MCF told me you can sort of stake them in with a chopsticks like a wedge next to them (Not pierced at all) so they feel comfortable. Have you ever heard that Ted?
Never heard that one. Doesn't make much sense.

Pufferpunk

Considering they are 90% water, I'm sure they could squeeze by anything you add to block them. As far as I can tell, they will not sting softies like leathers. Mine are touching without a problem.

Herbie

Banned
Never heard that one. Doesn't make much sense.
I'm probably not explaining it right but I got the impression you could sort of build a little fence right up next to them not to trap them, but to make them feel snug. The guy said it "might" work but also reiterated that they go wherever they want. I'm pretty sure if you haven't heard of it with a nem it's probably not true. I'm curious about this topic myself because I am very stocked and have a spot I would really like to "nem up" someday too.

BADGUS

Anemone and softies don't really fight,so i'd say add it and let it go where it wants,that's just me cause i like anemones over softies.

xtlosx

I have several BTAs that I placed where I want them... and none of them sit in the exact spot. They will deflate, and move around until they find a good spot.

Now none of mine have traversed the tank, or even half of the tank because I try to find now medium flow high light spots as Ted suggested.. With picking out these spots, they've stayed in the area and it has worked out excellent! I just added two new BTAs and they are within 3" of where I put them still, opened up and happy!

Good luck!

Pufferpunk

I got the impression you could sort of build a little fence right up next to them not to trap them, but to make them feel snug
I would think forcing a nem to stay where we want it, might make it very unhappy & possibly cause it's death. They go where they are the happiest.

helitaiwan963

yea, just follow the general guidelines of what BTA's like and find the best spot for them in your tank and hope they don't move. I've placed 2 RBTA's and they haven't moved at all (other than to settle their foot better) All these places had:

Medium light
medium flow,
nice crevice for their feet to go in(they don't like their feet to be in the light)

And my other BTA moved itself under a ledge piece i have and extends out during the day to the light. It moved there the night I got it and haven't moved since.

Hope that helps, even tho most of the info was given above already by more experience people.
-Eric

Activeangel

I'm probably not explaining it right but I got the impression you could sort of build a little fence right up next to them not to trap them, but to make them feel snug. The guy said it "might" work but also reiterated that they go wherever they want. I'm pretty sure if you haven't heard of it with a nem it's probably not true. I'm curious about this topic myself because I am very stocked and have a spot I would really like to "nem up" someday too.
It may be a little late to respond, but I actually tested this after shortly hearing about it a year ago. So far it's worked very well for me. My RBTA actually found a tighter crack/fence on the side of the rock I put next to him, compared with the hole I intended him to go to. The only time he strayed was when my T5's went out; after 2 days he began to move upwards and onto the glass. I fixed the lights, and patiently encouraged him onto the same rock/crevice, and he happily went back to the exact same hole. He has stayed there ever since. They seem to really like tight spots.

mishmaster

Hey there ChicagoReefers

I have a 90 gallon reef tank with soft coral everywhere in that tank and I will like to add a bubble tip anenome, but scared that it may sting my coral or kill them. Any suggestions on how to place the anenome in my tank?

Thanks in advance :)
I also have a 90g, click on my build thread below, pic is a bit old but my tank still has the same structure. Sps habitat on the right, lps on the bottom edges of the rock islands, and anemone island on the left. I started the anemone island from the few clones i had and the rock was big enough to give them room to climb around and far enought from the sps island, and it was also porous, large holes like in your average florida dry rock. They will not usually walk across sand beds, so sand is the barrier but if they are desperate they will go for it or even drift around, very rare though unless you didnt give them enough rock space. If you think they will thrive in your tank then you might as well give them their own portion of the tank because they can easily kill softies, lps, and sps. My current worry is that my anemone island is running out of room so t would suck if one of them decided to jump to the sps side of my tank.

Last edited:

wrasse

I like the island idea. I think a key is to make them comfortable where you want them and if they go where you don't want them change your set up either move corals or flow.
I have a bta and rock anemone. The BTA stays put but I had a duncan colony big near it getting stung so I fragged the duncan colony. The rock anemone move around a lot, so I just changes the flow of a nearby powerhead to get it to settle more or less where I wanted it.