Help with my new Evergrow LED. I'm an idiot!

edsbeaker

I can't believe I did this! :a43: :hang3: :a17:

I dropped the brand new fixture into the tank!!!! The ONLY good thing is that it wasn't plugged in so everything in the tank is OK.

The moonlights and channel 2 are working, but it seems that channel 1 may be fried. Can anyone help me figure this out? I know nothing about how to try and fix it.

kratos1028

OMG!! Glad everything else is okay. I can maybe swing by and open it up for you and see if anything looks fried or not. I would leave it unplugged for now until you are able to open it and see what happened. Don't want it to be wet still inside and end up frying all channels.

edsbeaker

I did open it up to wipe it all down and dry it off. There didn't seem to be much water inside, but I guess it doesn't take much. If I open it up again, is there any way visually that you can tell something is fried?

From Kratos signature..."Before I do anything, I ask myself "Would an idiot do that?" And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing."... wish I would have remembered this before I dropped it in!

kratos1028

Look for some "melt" marks around the wires and drivers. See if all the cables are plugged in properly too. I had a similar problem. my blue channel wasn't working after I opened it up to take out the optics. I rechecked the cables and reconnected them again and that fixed it. one of the cables wasn't plugged in properly or must have come loose while I was doing shenanigans with the fixture.

edsbeaker

Look for some "melt" marks around the wires and drivers. See if all the cables are plugged in properly too. I had a similar problem. my blue channel wasn't working after I opened it up to take out the optics. I rechecked the cables and reconnected them again and that fixed it. one of the cables wasn't plugged in properly or must have come loose while I was doing shenanigans with the fixture.
I checked all the connections, and they seemed tight, but one of the black ones did have a bit of water in it. I'm going to leave it open overnight so everything dries out, and then I'll see what's going on in the morning. Thanks!

kratos1028

Put a fan facing it so it dries out faster and more thoroughly. Hope it starts working. It's a shame because it's brand new and you were so excited about finally getting it :(

thinkfuture

Just an FYI: If you drop any electronics in the water, don't be in a hurry to turn it on & see if it is working. Rather, dry it with some towels as much as possible & put it in a container covered with Rice for 24 Hours or at least overnight (Yes I said it right, uncooked Rice that we eat) The rice will absorb all the moisture & you have more chances of the gadget working.
You can still try it out with your lights & see if it might work.

DB9181

:doh: Hopefully the lights are okay!!! Rice definitely does work/help for wet electronics, the issue is the fact that its SW - Ive dropped my keys w/ remote in a bucket of SW before, left them in rice for a day to dry out, and got them working again.

scotty

Sucks. First mistake was dumping it in the tank. 2 and was turning it on before a week of rice treatment. See what you can get out of the manufacturer/ retailer. My guy was super cool with my honesty and shipped out a new light.

edsbeaker

So, at 4 AM I just did a chat session with Sunny at Evergrow. He is emailing detailed instructions on how to test the fixture... after it drys out in a few days.... and said that the power source for the blues would probably need to be changed out if they still don't work in a few days. He also said I wouldn't have to send them back to China, and I can do it myself. I'm feeling a little better, still stupid, :suicide: but better.

edsbeaker

Good news for all, but first my good news. Sunny at Evergrow walked me through testing my LED's and power sources to diagnose the problem. It was the power supply box that I fried, but is an easy, easy fix. I had to change the two boxes with one another to test if one wasn't working. It was very easy, so when the new one comes next week, it will be a breeze to install.

The good news for all is that this is a GREAT company with excellent customer service. I have no concerns at all about dealing with this chinese company if future problems arise. They are awesome!!!