high alk levels

ColaAddict

how high are we talkin bout?
if your corals look fine and it's not too high, just don't dose alk and it will go down by itself.
If your corals look stressed or it's too high and you are worried about precipitating your calcium, you can always do a partial water change.

coral guy

maybe 16 dkh the thing is that my shortcake is the only one reacting to the dkh swing my other coral are fine.

ColaAddict

You can always do 20% water changes at a time.
16 is high. Any way you can double check that with a different tester?
I always make sure I have an API and a Hanna (to double check just incase) alk tester.

coral guy

i dont have another alk test kit i only have an api one right now. I will probably check it tommorow to make sure i didnt do anything wrong.

coral guy

I have a couple of other wild coral and they are doing fine in high alk.imo I dont really care if they are aquacultured or not, for me I think all coral are wild because aquacultured coral came from wild parents and so technically all aquacultured coral are partially wild just that they are adapted to the artificial tank water.

gig

wow, 12 dkh, I'm struggling to keep mine at 8! :) Like the others said, water changes are about all you can do, also as your SPS gross out it'll suck all that alk outta the water! :)

dohc97

as everyone else mentioned either do nothing and wait for the alk to go down on its own or do water changes to bring it down. what salt are you using? i had the same problem with reef crystals one time and it wiped out my entire tank. I now use good old instant ocean and get exactly what i want out of it consistently. Aquacultured corals are a lot easier to deal with then the maricultured or wild sps but i feel there is a certain reward to getting a wild/maricultured coral to survive and eventually thrive. So far this year i have about a 60% survival rate with maricultured stuff and i feel very proud of the pieces that are doing good for me.