Hippo tang in aquarium Adventure show tank

edsbeaker

Has anyone noticed this poor fish in the Schaumburg stores show tank. I've seen it there a couple of times now. You can actually count all of his ribs. It's just hard to look at. I know lots of the fish for sale there are also very very skinny, sad, but this one looks like a swimming skeleton. Should they be doing something to help him, or am I expecting too much?

FishBeard

Been there seen it , I hate to paint with a broad brush , you get what ya pay for , the staff are way underpaid !
I think u have your metaphors all jumbled up. At the prices they sell their poor quality livestock for, you are clearly not getting what you pay for at Aquarium Adventure... Its sad to have to wait for the 40% off sales just to buy fish at the high end of normal retail pricing.

tomek77pl

Every time I go there and I see their dirty tanks with infected fish it just makes me sad. All those fish are treated so badly.Thats why I only go there for water tests :). I purchased fish from them when I first started of and every fish had Ich. So sad :(

Shovelman

Is this the one of the two hippo tangs in the large show tank next to the other show tank w/the anemones we are talking about?

edsbeaker

Is this the one of the two hippo tangs in the large show tank next to the other show tank w/the anemones we are talking about?
That's the one. The one hippo isn't so bad, but that other one, it just seems inhumane to leave him in there.

Shovelman

When did you see this? When I was there 2 weeks ago, both were fat as a blue tang could be, or at least filled out pretty well.

Possibly internal parasites fluctuating weight gain is what I'm thinking

edsbeaker

When did you see this? When I was there 2 weeks ago, both were fat as a blue tang could be, or at least filled out pretty well.

Possibly internal parasites fluctuating weight gain is what I'm thinking
I was there a week ago, and then again just today. He looks horrible. I'm glad you noticed he was good a few weeks ago and hasn't been this way for a long time. Maybe they haven't been as neglectful as I imagined, but I don't know how he can even still be alive.

madjoe

Premium member
Thats sad i see lot of places with sick fish and they wont bother treating . So many fish die that dont need to if they were given proper treatment. Well what u gonna do right. Some stores should just be shut down

Chicagofishguy

I think u have your metaphors all jumbled up. At the prices they sell their poor quality livestock for, you are clearly not getting what you pay for at Aquarium Adventure... Its sad to have to wait for the 40% off sales just to buy fish at the high end of normal retail

Perhaps fishbeard , I could not agree with you more, i wish people got a healthier bang for their buck . And viewing beautiful holding tanks with Cyano , Diatom & bubble algae explosions is a 180 degree turn for me , speaks volumes on the routine maintenance and TDS monitoring IMO .