hoevens wrasse, anyone besides me have one?

SkullV

Having a big tank for just two fish kinda sucks :/ [MENTION=513]ADOGG80[/MENTION] YOU HAVE A QUEEN?! That's a death sentence for your fish :angel5: even I wouldn't want a queen and I love triggers.
You could definitely keep a few other fish with the two triggers, but just no more conspecifics or any other triggerfish. Thalassoma wrasses are good FOWLR choices, some of the smaller tang species would be good for a 100g FOWLR, dwarf angels, etc. One of my personal favorite FOWLR fish is the Pinkface Wrasse (Thalassoma quinquevittatum)

Ok guys wish me luck, I'll keep everyone posted, I just made a new thread guys a friend of mine needs help with his livestock, please everyone read

Sawdonkey

Premium member
If you're thinking of doing this kind of fish stocking, you're going to need to do some serious nutrient export. I'm thinking biopellets with a big skimmer. You're keeping coral too? I think I saw you asking around for coral? The triggers are fine with coral....you just need a way to deal with their messiness.

I have a 36 bow front I want to start coral in, and I do have a canister filter I'll be using plus a sump, currently what I feed these guys is, I go to the grocery store, buy off the sea food mixture leftovers, soak them in selcon and garlic extreme. Is that good enough?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I have a 36 bow front I want to start coral in, and I do have a canister filter I'll be using plus a sump, currently what I feed these guys is, I go to the grocery store, buy off the sea food mixture leftovers, soak them in selcon and garlic extreme. Is that good enough?
The fish aren't picky. You could probably feed therm cardboard (just kidding). You just need to deal with their heavy eating (and crapping). You need to feed these fish a bunch. In doing do, you will produce a lot of nitrate and phosphate. You need a good way to get this out of the tank. With the fish load you're contemplating, you will have a hard time. You will need a big skimmer and probably some carbon dosing (I'd go biopellets).

Also , there isn't much use for canister filters in salt water aquariums.

I'm going to look into the biopellets, thanks for info! I heard filter canisters are bad, are they? You think having those 4 triggers will be a lot? I do have a foxface but idk yet if I'm keeping him or selling the guy

madjoe

Premium member
I'm going to look into the biopellets, thanks for info! I heard filter canisters are bad, are they? You think having those 4 triggers will be a lot? I do have a foxface but idk yet if I'm keeping him or selling the guy
One trigger is usually to many ask aaron he wejt through a trigger phase they all get mean eventually . Although u may think people just want to bash they r alk right about this its gonna be hit or miss with triggers and lot nore nisses then hits i had a pink tail fir ling time was nice then one day ate a wrasse not a cheap one either then went ape sheit in rest of my fish . That was ine trigger and a docile one . I bought a 1.5 inch undulated and it beat the snot out of a 6inch tang imagine if that fish was 6 inch tang would of been mia. Now all thise triggers in a 55 gal i feel bad for any other dish in that tank good luck and i hope u taje some of the info in this thread to heart

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Four triggers is a lot of bioload for 100 gallons, but it's something you can overcome with good filtration. A canister won't do that for you. You'll need good biological filtration (lots of live rock, carbon dosing, and a big skimmer). These guys eat a lot and they are messy. They like to eat food and spit it out and eat it again. My Picasso likes to get a mouth full of nori and then spit it straight into the overflow. If he can't handle it, he's not letting the other fish eat it.

Bioload is the easy part. As everyone has mentioned, the aggression is the real issue. I think four triggers in a 100 is just irresponsible. I've had my Picasso for twelve years and I've had my niger for about six. When I added the niger, the Picasso was not welcoming at all. The niger was a little smaller and had to hide in the a rock for a few weeks. Any time he poked his head out, the Picasso would go straight for him. I had to squirt food into the rock to keep the niger from starving. After about a month, the Picasso let up and the niger was able to come out. Six years later, the niger is twice as big as the Picasso. All is good. Now imagine this with two more triggers in the mix. It would not have worked out. I understand your desire for a bunch of triggers. They're really cool fish. I really want to get another one for my 220 gallon tank, but I know better. Good luck in whatever you choose to do, but if I were you, I'd listen to the advice you've gotten here.

Well I'm going to try 3 then, I already got 3, so if I see it's not working out then the most aggressive one has to go. Any seggestions on what can go with triggers? Maybe a panther grouper?

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Well I'm going to try 3 then, I already got 3, so if I see it's not working out then the most aggressive one has to go. Any seggestions on what can go with triggers? Maybe a panther grouper?
I seriously hope you're kidding! Read a little about panther groupers. They get huge. Minimum 300 gallon tank recommended.

Get a dwarf angel. They can hold their own and they can live in a 100 gallon tank. Or go with a wrasse or two.

Whatever you do, do a bunch of research first.

MMreef

Go t o this site for basic fish requirements and care.http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+44 None of those you have is recommended for 100 gal. tank, unless small. At the end, because of your lack of research and irresponsibility fish are the ones that will suffer. I see you are new to this site, not sure of your saltwater experience,but reading your posts I think your new to this hobby, I would really re think your approach and listen to people that have expierence. It is not to bash you, but most people here are to help others, and have well being of aquarium inhabitants as priority.