HOLY WTF is this

frostyjay1

PLEASE help to ID this. It was found during a coral dip on a welso. there were 2 of these one the welso, and those two areas are skeleton. HELP this poor Welso please

DD

"Rambo"
Hopefully Lynn Z. chimes in. I'm confident that she'll know exactly what that is.

My guess, a baby Kracken.

Herbie

Banned
i thought it looked shiny and retracted already, but if it is squishy it's aint a cowrie. I think I know it though. Let me google some more.

Herbie

Banned
hmmm. I was thinking foraminifera, but that's not it. I think it's a bubble algae and it was attached on the welso because it is weak. Fnal answer. LOL.

frostyjay1

hmmm. I was thinking foraminifera, but that's not it. I think it's a bubble algae and it was attached on the welso because it is weak. Fnal answer. LOL.
I have bubble algea in my tank and when you pop it, its kinda crunchy

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

madjoe

Premium member
Does it move or no. Looks like red bubble but i cant tell on phone trying to get computer running . Pos got to have it repaired been acting up

Lynn Z

It's the kracken - ahhhhh!!! :fear:

Hi everyone - first of all, Blasto's are hands down, my favorite coral variety, so let's figure out what this is. In the meantime, I've got a few questions:

1. What's the size?
  2. Have you seen it moving around or is it stationary? - Edit - just saw your response regarding the coral dip - do you remember seeing it move before then?
  3. Does it react at all to being touched? (Edit - Sorry, same as above - do you remember seeing it react before the dip - that is, if it was even visible before?)
  4. Can you see any eyes or anything else "anatomical" on it (tentacles, siphon, any indication of "parts", etc.)?
  5. Turn the thing over - do you see anything different or anatomical now?
  6. Is it completely soft, or can you feel any sort of shell/hardness on/within it? - Looks like you've already answered this one - it's squishy, so I'll take that as a no, but try it again just to make sure. Take the end of a turkey baster or whatever you have laying around and poke at the thing. When you do that, does it go right in (like the Pillsbury dough boy) or do you feel like you're hitting something? It may not be very hard, but it's apparent that the "thing" has some sort of membrane/shell/structure inside that will cause some resistance to being poked.
  7. I can't quite tell from the photo, but do you see any sort of pattern to it or is it pretty much all one color?
  8. If the thing is stationary and hasn't moved at all, put it in a cup of SW, take your turkey baster and blast some water at it. Does it stay intact or start falling apart? Does it look any different now? Maybe it's something like a piece of bubble algae with some sort of bloom (algal/coral slime, etc.) around it.

That's all the questions I have for now. There's something nudging at the back of my mind about this thing but it's not surfacing yet. Hopefully with a couple of answers it'll pop up. In the meantime, I've got a few zillion errands to run but I'll be back in a few hours to check in.
Take care,
-Lynn