Homemade live rock

jsteffen

I have made about 50 lbs. Of rock to add too my tank. I am now rinsing out the salt crystals out of it for the next month or so. I was wondering after I think it is ready can I add to my tank or should I culture it with other live rock first? I have about 100 lbs in my take now for my 125 gal now. Any help would be appreciated.

jsteffen

Made the rock with crushed 3 parts oyster shell and 2 parts Portland cement. When you mixed it all up with water add 2 parts course salt crystals and shape the rocks u need. When set up soak in water to dissolve the salt crystals leaving voids in the rock. I put in caves and places to put frags. Would not be live yet...

jsteffen

Seen a lot of videos on you tube for DIY live rock thought I would give it a try it would be cheaper and you can make what you want and need.

FishBeard

You can either cycle the rock in a bucket/container with old tank water (or new salt if you dont care about mixing it up) just like any other dry rock, or you can add a few pounds a week to the tank, and the existing liverock will continue to provide filtration while the new homemade stuff goes live. I have wanted to try making my own rocks for a while now, just have way too many other projects that take priority! Looking forward to the finished product!

Here is a great video showing how its done, and what it looks like:
DIY Live Rock - by Ed - YouTube

scotty

def. concrete, but a couple months of "living" and you wouldn't know the difference, you did a real good job making it look random.

jsteffen

The big piece is about 18" wide about 15" tall and has 1 tunnel and 3 caves.
Caves are easily made with balloons.

AndyP27

This looks like a great way if you're planning on having a larger tank in a few months and don't have a bunch of extra cash laying around...HEY...I'm planning on having a larger tank in a few months and am always looking to build my own stuff...

One question...Does this hold up over years in saltwater? I don't want it to start to crumble after 6 months in the tank?

Herbie

Banned
Another question: do you have to worry about Ph or lime issues. I tried quickcrete in a tank many years ago and the water killed even goldfish. Even after many many attempts to rinse. This whole idea is very cool.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

wipe

Most of my rock is Garf aggrocrete home made it been running for 3yrs holding up fine. The Ph is fine. I think as long as you slow cure the concrete it is good. "Slow cure" I kept the pieces in damp sand for a month. I also did some smaller pieces and didnt wait. I didnt notice a rise with the small rocks.