How did you hang your LED setup?

Nxt

I was wondering if some other reefers could post up how they hung their LEDs?

For example: How did you hang your LEDs from the ceiling if you didn't have a wood stud? Did you do a single mount or two mounts to split the weight?

This should be able to help out other reefers looking to upgrade to LED

lunacris

I have hung using the ai hanging kit which uses two toggle bolts no stud just on drywall i like that hanging kit cause its easy to adjust and level the fixture at the light lower raise or swivle frontto back. havnt checked home depot but im sure it can be redone with few parts from there really easy.

Nxt

I have hung using the ai hanging kit which uses two toggle bolts no stud just on drywall i like that hanging kit cause its easy to adjust and level the fixture at the light lower raise or swivle frontto back. havnt checked home depot but im sure it can be redone with few parts from there really easy.
Thank you for the input!

Fpr my new LEDs, Im looking to go the home depot route.

lunacris

Its really easy just get the fittings and steel cable all there and match up with toggle bolts as long as you dont get a tool to help ya you should be able to get it pieced together for under 20 bucks

jm23

I used the hanging kit from rapidled, but attached them to the ceiling using parts from menards and homedepot. I used 3 "c" shaped channels the had a lip on the open side that I found in the shelving dept at menards. You can see a pic on my build, but I used two of them to attach to the ceiling as tracks and a third one that attached to those so I could move the light all directions. Just use the plastic inserts with the screw if you are going into drywall, never trust just a screw.

lunacris

If you need a stud you can put a piece of wood in the attic across your beams and screw them in and only drop the little cables thru the hole

Nxt

If you need a stud you can put a piece of wood in the attic across your beams and screw them in and only drop the little cables thru the hole
That's a good idea. For me that wouldn't work. I'd have to create more holes in the ceiling. :/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You would only need the holes for the hanging kit in the ceiling. I never feel save attaching anything just to drywall not even a towel bar. You would just screw the wood in the attic to the rafters for backing.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Not sure if to late.. But you can try this and bolt it to the back of the stand. I'm pretty sure a DIY can be made to accomplish this

Gives you the rimless look almost

Closer look at today :D

bryman

Dre,
Did you make that? I need something like that to hang my LED fixture above my frag tank. Only problem is it doesn't have a solid back. Fixture mounting is the one thing holding me back from setting up the fraggle tank.

Lil BamBam

Premium member
Dre,
Did you make that? I need something like that to hang my LED fixture above my frag tank. Only problem is it doesn't have a solid back. Fixture mounting is the one thing holding me back from setting up the fraggle tank.
Na, I didn't make this... But was purchased here and best investment IMO.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_Stand_Light_Fixture_Hanger_Hanging_Kits_for_Aquarium_Light_Fixtures-AquaticLife-AK01209-FILTACMOFTHK-vi.html

This holds my TEK 8 bulb fixture with no issue and can be adjusted up or down. Yes, you can make your own DIY, but PITA to adjust height or if it will hold a heavy fixture.

You can place this on the side also as you might need one with your frag tank ;)

I used something called 80/20 aluminum on my AI nano, it's like an erector set, lots of options. Bracket thickness, numerous ways to make a 90 degree, even has swivel options. It's really pretty cool stuff. Just type in 80/20 aluminum in google, or even Ebay.

Nxt

You would only need the holes for the hanging kit in the ceiling. I never feel save attaching anything just to drywall not even a towel bar. You would just screw the wood in the attic to the rafters for backing.
Sorry, what I meant was for me, my tank is downstairs, no attic and its all dry walled. I do not have a drop ceiling. If my tank was upstairs, that'd work out great. haha

rosko23

I used something called 80/20 aluminum on my AI nano, it's like an erector set, lots of options. Bracket thickness, numerous ways to make a 90 degree, even has swivel options. It's really pretty cool stuff. Just type in 80/20 aluminum in google, or even Ebay.
Someone else on another forum used same thing. Came out awesome

bryman

Thanks Dre. I did my own research last night and ended up ordering the same Aquaticlife hanging system. Good minds must think alike. :)

Na, I didn't make this... But was purchased here and best investment IMO.

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticLife_Stand_Light_Fixture_Hanger_Hanging_Kits_for_Aquarium_Light_Fixtures-AquaticLife-AK01209-FILTACMOFTHK-vi.html

This holds my TEK 8 bulb fixture with no issue and can be adjusted up or down. Yes, you can make your own DIY, but PITA to adjust height or if it will hold a heavy fixture.

You can place this on the side also as you might need one with your frag tank ;)

Nxt

Thanks Dre. I did my own research last night and ended up ordering the same Aquaticlife hanging system. Good minds must think alike. :)
That system looks pretty neat, it perfectly works with the SPS-55 system without having to change anything?