How does everybody calibrate their refractometers?

Herbie

Banned
Is it possible that some refractometers are made specifically for marine aquarium use and others are not?

Herbie

Banned
There are many types out there. Some for brewing beer, etc. We want a salinity refractometer.
understood, but amongst salinity refractometers perhaps there are lab oriented devices that have one scale and perhapd other (like my marinedepot brand) that are scaled to marine aquarium use. Would that difference perhaps allow one type to be calibrated with RO/DI and another would require a specifically calibrated fulid. I'm just wondering as I have no idea, but I have always used RO/DI to check mine but it has always read exactly 0 with RO/DI (never had to turn the screw). When I make my SW I go to 1.026. I've been doing that since I've had SW tanks. Everything seems pretty happy. I don't doubt the science in the references, but I'm curious how I can be sucessful even with the errored measurement.

tkh

understood, but amongst salinity refractometers perhaps there are lab oriented devices that have one scale and perhapd other (like my marinedepot brand) that are scaled to marine aquarium use. Would that difference perhaps allow one type to be calibrated with RO/DI and another would require a specifically calibrated fulid. I'm just wondering as I have no idea, but I have always used RO/DI to check mine but it has always read exactly 0 with RO/DI (never had to turn the screw). When I make my SW I go to 1.026. I've been doing that since I've had SW tanks. Everything seems pretty happy. I don't doubt the science in the references, but I'm curious how I can be sucessful even with the errored measurement.
I would guess that everything in your tank is acclimated to whatever your specific gravity actually is (however far off your meter may or may not be).

Edit: allow me to elaborate. I think (opinion here, mind you), that consistency is probably contributing to your success.... If you acclimate all of your livestock to whatever your tank is at, then they should probably be ok with it... I mean, swing arms were, and for some still are a popular means of maintaining a tank. That alone should be an indication that you do not need to be at 1.025 or 1.026 with exact precision... But, it certainly won't hurt it!

sparky5785

All I know is the manufacturers instuctions with my refractometer says calibrate to zero however BRS put a BIG sticker over the cases seal that says

"do not calibrate to 0 use the included 35ppm calibration solution only"

I shall trust BRS before some random manufacturer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2