How long to QT

SteveV

Need some feedback on how long you QT fish? Bought 4x Blue/Green Chromis yesterday from LFS, they had them for 2 weeks. Lady said 1-3 days would be fine. Internet is all over the place. Thoughts?

MMreef

I do 30 days with medication and then another 30 observing, if all good then to DT. 1-3 days is no qt, just put them directly in DT, but you're taking a big gamble, with the quality of fish LFS has lately, many coming with ich or velvet. Try to at least do 30 days, many symptoms don't show untill couple of weeks.

Return 3 of them. 1-3 days is worthless, closer to 4-6 weeks which is around the lifespan of ich, which most fish coming from LFS have.

MMreef

Also most LFS either use small amount of copper in their tanks or low salanity, both are good at masking any diseases fish might have. That's why most fish look good in store. I don't trust any LFS anymore, even if they " qt" their fish. I got sick fish even from the most reputable LFS in the area.

fredfish13

at least a month. most disease will usually show up before. you don't want that in your DT and kill your other fish. like they said above, most LFS use some copper. so fish will look good.

Last edited:

goatous

I can't say how long to QT or medicate but wanted to mention that I picked up a fish a couple weeks ago from Xzotic Aquatic World in Niles and they said they medicate during quarantine don't medicate their display tanks but do lower salinity 1.022.
Though their system isn't perfect, it is about as good as I've seen from a LFS and is understandable from a business perspective.

SteveV

I kind a like when they have the salinity that low to kill off the ich.. Who knows who is telling the truth thou..

ninjamyst

Premium member
Are there any stores in Illinois who QT fish at all?
AFAIK, these do:
New Fish
Xzotic Aquatic
Reefwise

I think Aquapros QT some?

But like many said, LFS QT is never 100% guarantee but I still only buy fish from the stores listed above to improve my chances.