How long

Just a quick question for everyone
How long have you had a saltwater tank?
How many gallons total?
How did you get started?

m.miller1547

Ive had several tanks. I started in July of 2011. First tank was a fluval edge. Had a 12 biocube, 38 Oceanic Cube, 15 gallon long, Nuvo 8, and finally settled in with a biocube 29. I like gadgets and gizmos. I was first enticed to start a tank when my best friend started a 29 biocube. I bought a tank to out do his. He has since left the hobby and does only fresh. Ive had freshwater tanks since i was a kid, but my favorite is and always will be koi ponds. If it can be modded or improved im the diy to get it done! Ive never been a stranger to educating myself on a particular subject and understanding concepts others just brush off. I like a challenge and reefing has provided that so far. sorry if i didnt format this the way the OP was suggesting. Happy Reefing!

Smitty

Premium member
1) 5 years
2) 275 gals total
3) I got bored with freshwater fish and breeding chiclids. I wanted that challenging next step.

JDP1988

1) 1yr Freshwater, 8 months Saltwater
2) 145 Gallons Total (55 Gallon Freshwater Tropical and 75 gallon Saltwater Soft Reef DT w/15 gallons in the sump)
3) Ever since my girlfriend won a goldfish at the Boone County Fair in Rockford back in August of 2011. SMH girlfriends lol. I got into SW in April of this year, because of the challenge and how rewarding a reef can be with some TLC can make you go WOW!. (with watery eyes and mouth dropped)

SkunkerX

Just over 3 years with salt

125 dt with 55 fuge/sump and a 55 qt.......29 gal freshwater and a beta bowl

So seeing that tanks aint really the volume they say I have about 130 to 140 gal.

total system volume give or take with the dt, sump/fuge and 47 gallon on the qt.

Had my own fw tanks since I was 18, my family had fw tanks since when I was little

I got started when a friend of a friend pretty much gave me the tank I have now.

Took about 1 year from when I got the tank to when I 1st put fish in. Did many many hours

of research then many many more.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
7 Years
90G FOWLR, 90G Reef, 75G FOWLR
I got started because my wife and I thought the fish were pretty.

Herbie

Banned
filled my first SW tank on 11/17/2011 (the BBQ was my 1st anniversary!)
FW for =/-20 years (only guppies:))

Currently have 45g cube with 14g sump, +/-60g grow out tank (20L, 20T and 29), 28g nano cube (coming down) and 30g half cyl guppie/vaguely planted FW

BigKev23

Been doing saltwater on my own for about 8 years or so. Started with a 15g tall and now I have a 60g SPS dominated cube, a 25g zoanthid/paly cube and a 5g EcoPico cube at work. Learned from my dad who has had saltwater tanks for about 30 years.

yogoshio

First tank was when I was 14. Started with a 10 gallon FOWLR and some terrible advice from a LFS. Things worked out, but it took a long time for me to find resources at that time. Moved up to a 48 bow front LPS reef for about 3 years, then switched to FOWLR cause my light went out and didn't have the cash for a new one since I was in high school. Downgraded to a 20 gallon for college, then the 55 mixed reef I had until I just got rid of it.

Next setup will be the 110 with a 40 gallon sump FOWLR.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Just a quick question for everyone
How long have you had a saltwater tank?
How many gallons total?
How did you get started?

3 days, I'm cycling it right now with 4 tangs and some tap water I mixed with table salt.
6gallon Fluval
Bought some clams to eat but decided to try to raise them to cut down on my grocery bill.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I got my first SW "tank" when I was 15; .5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank. They did not live long.

I have no idea total gallons; lost track.

Decided to start up again when my daughter was born; figured I'd be home a lot.

capysolo

Started 6 or 7 years ago with a 75. Moved and added a 23 a couple years later. Then moved and downgraded to a 40. Moved again and went back to my 75 with a 58 with a common sump (my favorite setup to date). Moved again, went with just the 58. That crashed, so now I have my 70 corner.

Confused yet?

All of my systems have had sumps. Largest total volume was the 75+58+30g sump.

Current setup is 70g display with a 20g sump with fuge. This one is growing on me fast, second favorite now.

Fish_wiz2

Ive been in the game for about 6 years.

I would say 1000 gallons total. I have had a lot of thanks including setups i have maintained in my relatives' homes. Plus 1200 gals if a pond is included! :p

Like most, freshwater got boring to me. Even the high end stuff like discus and planted. Finally took the jump, then eventually as the years progressed, i got a little bored and started my own koi pond. But im still alive and kicking with my nano.

Wiz.

madjoe

Premium member
10 yrs in saltwater still have first set up 75g rr marineland tidepool filter . added 20 gal refugium and a 6 gal edge that i cut top off and drilled added into the system . tanks same but inhabitants changes now a sps reef for last 2.5 3 yrs . love it and hope it last many more years . also have 90 gal for 3.5 years just redid and made 3d cement background everything looking great