how should i clean bio balls that where running a freshwater set up?

greenninja19

Went last night and bought a 220 gallon that comes with a large wet dry fillter and a lot of Bio balls. The tank has been running a freshwater set up. Hoping u guys had some ideas on the proper way to clean the Bio balls so I can get my new tank up and running.

ColaAddict

Most of us will tell you to ditch bioballs and either replace them with a nice protein skimmer or live rocks.
Bio balls tend to trap detritus and become a bad source of nitrates.
Skimmer pulls out crap and liverocks become good home for good bacteria and little pods that will eat up the detritus.

RedDevil.258

Most of us will tell you to ditch bioballs and either replace them with a nice protein skimmer or live rocks.
Bio balls tend to trap detritus and become a bad source of nitrates.
Skimmer pulls out crap and liverocks become good home for good bacteria and little pods that will eat up the detritus.
I agree with above
Yeah ditch the bioballs nothing but trouble down the road
+1 to ditching and replacing with skimmer/live rock
Ditto! ;)

greenninja19

So u guys are saying I should put the live rock in my sump where the Bio balls would sit and put a protein Skimmer on it

greenninja19

View attachment 11310

this is the same wet/dry filter that i have on my 75 gallon set up is there any way i would be able to run live rock in this filter instead of the bio balls also it is very similar to the wet/dry filter im getting with the 220 gallon set up

tkh

I suppose you could remove the bioballs and just put live rock there, or free up the space and put in a refugium :)

I also had a similar wet/dry bio ball setup in the tank I bought recently. First thing I did was take it out.