How to clean an old biocube?

Grebex11

Hey guys,

I have upgraded my tank and have an old 14g biocube I just drained. The back wall is black plastic and is covered in coralline algae. Wondering what people have used successfully to remove coralline from plastic or acrylic? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

jrosales91

Premium member
Soak it or fill it with with Distill Vinegar and leave over night and it will come right off the next day.

Hey guys,

I have upgraded my tank and have an old 14g biocube I just drained. The back wall is black plastic and is covered in coralline algae. Wondering what people have used successfully to remove coralline from plastic or acrylic? Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I would use vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray, let it sit, and then scrape. I do sometimes use vinegar and water to fill the tank but it can take longer since the vinegar is diluted. If you don't mind filling the tank with just vinegar, that would be the fastest and most expensive way. You can also soak a rag in vinegar and lay it on the algae for a while and then scrape. GL

Fish_wiz2

If you can find muriatic acid (usually sold as a concrete etcher or pool pH adjuster), that stuff will scrub your BC sparkly clean. I used it on my old 29BC before I sold it and it got some of the nastiest stuff out. But it is a very powerful acid and must be used outdoors with lots of water, a little goes a long way. Also remove any O-rings if you are soaking pumps as it likes to eat at it. But far superior to vinegar and works much faster. My go-to for my nastiest tanks and equipment.

tinman

fill your tank with water and pour in say a half gallon venegar let it sit for a day or two and scrub it off should be easy that way