How to develop copapod population

jfmkem82

What is the best way to get establish a healthy population of life be 'pods in my reef tank. I was told the store bought bottles of pods wouldn't survive. I've also been advised to introduce new dry rock for colonies to establish themselves.
Curious to hear from the membership

I really want to be able to support a Mandrain in the tank

shift9k

Its a really good idea to start your reef from the base critters up. I'd wait til you're done cycling the system though.

I seeded my tank from algae barn. Did a review here: https://youtu.be/yRhDqdJNSao

I was pleasantly surprised. The footage speaks for itself, and now over two months in my glass is still teeming with all sorts of stuff.

Hobbs

In your tank make sure that you have an area of high porous rock that your mandarin can't get to. That way you will always have a breeding point in your aquarium for them, in addition to any refugium you may have. I had a coral rubble pile with some mushrooms on that helped keep my tank stocked

Illinijoe

TeamCR
I'm taking down an 8 gal tank filled with critters you are welcome to take all the water it's bare bott. Or give me a rock I can throw it in there and maybe they will move in.

Jmick007

I started my tank up about a month ago & have a huge pod population already. Bought a lot of dry very porous rock & seeded it with about 40lbs of live rock but got a little from a lot of stores to maximize diversity. Also run an algae scrubber, it's already home to big pod population.

GugsJr

TeamCR
I have a large amphipod collection I got from aqua pros.

I just did a buy one get one special from algae barn for copepods.

I always seed me refugium with some as well as my display tank.

Even with a Christmas wrasse I have no issues.