how to remove carpet nem? - Bali blood red mini carpet

jrpark22000

Premium member
Hoping someone else has tried moving one of these from your tank. I've had one split twice times and been researching how to get them to release their foot.

Like a true carpet, when touched instead of retracting (like a maxi-mini) they stay inflated and try to catch what is touching them. To my surprise I watched one catch a very large amphipod the other day when experimenting. The nem caught the amphipod almost like spiderman would. Every time I touch any of the nems with any tool, they simply grab the tool and hold on.

I've read the normal techniques of carpet nem removal, bagged rodi ice, credit card, fingernail, etc. If I can get it to close up some it shouldn't be a problem to try these methods.

Anyone tried to move one of these or have general hints in how to get it done?

Thanks in advance.

jayjerk

Premium member
My other nems I blast with power head and wait for it to release a bit the rub at foot to try n get water between foot n whatever it attached to.

Gl

saltymike

Mine was attached to the bottom glass and I heated up the glass with a hairdryer until it let go. I took awhile but worked great

maidia

Team CR
Hoping someone else has tried moving one of these from your tank. I've had one split twice times and been researching how to get them to release their foot.

Like a true carpet, when touched instead of retracting (like a maxi-mini) they stay inflated and try to catch what is touching them. To my surprise I watched one catch a very large amphipod the other day when experimenting. The nem caught the amphipod almost like spiderman would. Every time I touch any of the nems with any tool, they simply grab the tool and hold on.

I've read the normal techniques of carpet nem removal, bagged rodi ice, credit card, fingernail, etc. If I can get it to close up some it shouldn't be a problem to try these methods.

Anyone tried to move one of these or have general hints in how to get it done?

Thanks in advance.
I dont know how to remove carpet (need to call 773-202-Luna) :).
Josh, remove them and put in my tank..I mean the Gonzo not carpet...Hehe..

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks Guys, and well Mai too. I called Luna but he didn't want to help me LOL. [MENTION=4]lunacris[/MENTION]
[MENTION=454]maidia[/MENTION] the gonzo is colored up nicely. It's growing, just not very fast. Soon I hope to have another great local BTA to add in trade for a bali split :spy:

lunacris

the only 2 carpets i ever had to remove is haddoni* easy since it was in sand credit card was method and with blue gig i didnt want to stress it out so i cut the rock it was on . not best method but way i went .good luck

fishtank44

My hand with power head into 30" deep water for about 30min to point power head direct root base to removed my blue carpet anemone in 375 gals tank.

samwhite1

I worked in the LFS when I was a kid and had seen the powerhead method used along with a very soft rubber mixing spatula (to gently pull the foot away).

jrpark22000

Premium member
Thanks all for the input. It's moved under the edge of the skirt of the large original split, but will first try a power head and massage of the foot.

cet98

I say yell at it and call it bad names.....always made my little brother run away when we were kids....

wait, I don't have a brother....wonder who that kid was......

Last edited:

jrpark22000

Premium member
[MENTION=2246]cet98[/MENTION] didn't have to yell at it once :D

couldn't have hoped for easier results. less than 5 minutes with a MJ800 pointed at it from a couple angles and it released 1/2 of it's foot. Then a very gentle massage of the foot with a fingernail and tip ended for only a couple minutes and it dropped from the rock! easy peasy, gotta love it.

Holy poo is the nem sticky. It wanted nothing to do with letting go of my finger once in the holing pen.