How to transfer copepods from a stagnant algae infested breeder tank to my main tank

Saltwater35gal

I am breeding copepods in a 10 gal saltwater tank that has a few pebbles on the bottom, nothing else. The copepods multiply like crazy but so does the algae in the tank. Its nasty looking milky green water. What is a good way to transfer the copepods into my main tank without messing up my water quality??? I did capture some pods with a sponge twice now, then let the milky water run out as much as possible and stuck the sponge into the refugium that holds life rock and macroalgae. Water then slowly drips into the main tank. Is that safe? The pods disappear fairly quickly from there, not sure if they hide, or die from little nutrition/algae, or if they flush to the main tank and get eaten...? I am breeding them to supplementary feed my mandarin.

jrpark22000

Premium member
I use sieves. When I do water changes I suck up as much detritus as possible. I then use 2 5gal buckets. I transfer the water from one bucket to another several times. First with the 180um sieve to catch all the adults. Then a 53um sieve to filter out the detritus, nymphs and eggs. I return the last bit of 53um catch back into the copepod tank to ensure the next generation.

fwadiver

there are pod sievs and reed mariculture has a copepod floss thing they sell that works really well.