How would you repair this crack?

maazreef

So here it is;
Glass cracked at the bottom of a 16 gallon NUVO. I know how i would go about it but i am just open to suggestions.

The way i am thinking of doing this repair is by having the same base cut out and lay it inside the tank and seal with black caulk all the way around.

Would you do anything different or something extra?

maazreef

Nino. I know its obvious that that is always an option for anything that's broken. Thank you for helping me clarify my post.

Now i will just narrow this down to needing to fix it. Or maybe I am overlooking things like Nino thinks,
not sure. I have done this fix on a 20 high before and continued to use it until I upgraded without issues. At the end of all this, if you guys think it's not a fixable tank, I guess it will just be trash. But for now I'm looking to see what you think.

Have you done a repair like this before? On any tank? Let me know your thoughts and how you went about it guys.
Thanks

Last edited:

ColaAddict

You can silicone the heck out of it with another glass I guess. That would be your best bet. Just keep all power supply far away from it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggerdood

Now, being able to see the pic better on a bigger screen other than my phone, I wouldnt attempt to fix it. Not worth the risk/reward imo. The way it is cracked would make for a tricky repair. I'd buy another tank.

Last edited:

MMreef

This is the AIO tank, right? Black back is acrylic and there is all that filtration chamber if not mistaken. Just guessing by googling this tank. Well, the only way i would do this is take out the acrylic partitions and cut piece of glass that covers the whole bottom and silicone it to glass on all four sides.Then fix the partition back when you have bottom siliconed. If you do as you plan, you will have one side siliconed to acrylic partition, and you will not get good seal there. It is bound to leak sooner then later. If you do some research silicone don't stick well to acrylic or plastic.

maazreef

This is the AIO tank, right? Black back is acrylic and there is all that filtration chamber if not mistaken. Just guessing by googling this tank. Well, the only way i would do this is take out the acrylic partitions and cut piece of glass that covers the whole bottom and silicone it to glass on all four sides.Then fix the partition back when you have bottom siliconed. If you do as you plan, you will have one side siliconed to acrylic partition, and you will not get good seal there. It is bound to leak sooner then later. If you do some research silicone don't stick well to acrylic or plastic.
Thanks Mark. Yes it fits the description. This is what I will attempt to do. This is the idea I was looking for. And yes you are right silicone doesn't stick very well with acrylic. I appreciate your input.

Drdavis

Premium member
There is a dollar per gallon sale at Petco gong on for 40 bucks plus the cost of building a stand you can have a 40 Breeder one of the best tanks IMO.

madjoe

Premium member
That sucks anything can be fixed and im all for fixing whats broke but in this case im with nino safer buy a new one might be cheaoer in long run u fix it it leaks things die carpet floor equipment etc gets ruined cost u more in long run. Good luck with what ever decide . If u lay on top u gonna have to cut out acrylic so u can silicone it all ti glass then put the acrylic back in sand down alittle ro make it fit

maazreef

I sent IM an email and will be calling them soon to get their 2 cents. They may just say what Nino said, "put a sticker on it and leave it on the curb" But as of now the only option is to purchase the bottom glass from them. If for any reason they won't sell it than this fix is "no bueno" due to the rounded corners on the front of the tank. If they can't supply the glass no one can. If i can get this glass this is a done deal. It will be very challenging but not impossible.

Pfisherman

There is a very popular hobby called stained glass. Find a stained glass person and they can cut this, no problem. My old neighbor was hardcore into this and she had a diamond wet saw. Purrfect.

frostyjay1

How did it crack? Was something dropped in the tank? IM may warranty the tank. I have heard of them doing that for other issues that were manufactured defects

maazreef

There is a very popular hobby called stained glass. Find a stained glass person and they can cut this, no problem. My old neighbor was hardcore into this and she had a diamond wet saw. Purrfect.
I will check on that I just hope they don't charge an arm and a legg. Thanks.
How did it crack? Was something dropped in the tank? IM may warranty the tank. I have heard of them doing that for other issues that were manufactured defects
Idk. Woke up to a dry pump in the morning. Didn't even know how.. i contacted them. but I'm pretty much dead in the water as this tank is passed the warranty period. I guess they only do a 1 year warranty and this tank is passed that.
Plumbers Goop... A lot

The Stuff Rocks
I have to look into that thank s