I came up with a crazy idea to modify a light and need some advice.

Better yet, let's call it a long shot at getting this to look clean, but it will work. For starters, I purchased a Giesemann MH/T5 light that I'm not completely happy with. The trouble is I miss the color from the Radion XR30 Pros. The fixture has more than enough room to fit the hardware from the Radion in it, but the Radions heat sink is built into the light itself. I would like to avoid cutting the Radion if possible, but short of a way to figure out the cooling aspect, I don't see much choice. With the way the Radion is cooled, it pulls air in, then moves it through the heat sink past the pucks and out the side. I really need to find a closed heat sink to make sure I keep the cooling the same.

For you that have built your own LEDs, where did you purchase the heat sink?

Last edited:

SkullV

If you are handy, look into this:

http://www.rapidled.com/aurora-puck-kits/

Not sure what generation radion you have, but you could probably sell off the fixture and buy the DIY version brand new for less. Most likely all you really need is Royal Blue LED for the color you're looking for. If that is the case, you can really just swap a couple of the T5 lamps for E5 LED tubes. You won't get the LED shimmer when the halides are off though.

Good luck

AForys

look into the premium enclosed heatsink, I use one for 2 pucks (lumia 5.2 cree) basically the ledgroupbuy.com version of those auroras. it pulls in the air and releases it from the sides. I'll get you a better pic of mine tomorrow