I heard I can use tap water for initial start up

FlyinBryan

add a couple cap fulls of a dechlorinator and the water should be ready to be mixed with salt. I'm ready to fire up my system, it's all plumbed and ready to go. Should I fill with regular garden hose just to see if it works so I can address problems or what should I do? I'd hate to add sand, live rock, and even salt water without having addressed any major problems that can come up first in the sump and plumbing etc.
It's a rr150 gallon, which is alot of water either way I go, and with the aqueon proflex 4 sump underneath. Everything looks good, like I said I'm ready to fire up and just dyin to fill it to see if it all works!!
Thanks!!

Tangency

You don't need to use RODI water to test for leaks. Tap water will be fine.

I would recommend using RODI water to fill up your tank once you are ready. It is harder to remove contaminants and fix problems later compared to just starting with purified water. Good luck & post pics!

gig

yeah, dont start off on the wrong foot, use RODI for your initial mix, like jeff said, there are contanminants that will be difficult to get out later.

FlyinBryan

So Prime by Seachem isnt going to give me RO quality water huh? Darn..mabye ill just get saltwater pumped in to tank this weekend..oh or Bam i might take u on ur offer!!

FishBeard

So Prime by Seachem isnt going to give me RO quality water huh? Darn..mabye ill just get saltwater pumped in to tank this weekend..oh or Bam i might take u on ur offer!!
I never understood why people thought adding more chemicals to water that is already polluted would make it better. You are far from the first person and definitely won't be the last. At least we got you set on the right path now. I have a few of Bambams buckets at my place, and about 27gal of DI ready to move immediately (and however much more I can filter in the meantime) if you want to toss me a little cash donation for it. I'm like 2 blocks away from him.

DJE

Trust me Bryan you don't want to do that. I made that mistake years ago and paid for it in the pocket. Patience will be key so get RO/DI water and you won't regret it later.

FlyinBryan

Thx evryone..i got the msg loud n clear!! Ima hold off on things for a few weeks becuase il be out of town for work..