Ick/ich

jeffy

Looks like ich. is he in the DT? where did you get him from?
DT? Got him from a local shop in town. Refuse to say name. Don't want to bash. Wasn't a grab an go. They Made sure that he ate and was in good shape before he left the store. Looked fine when I brought him home. Then last night I started to notice. This morning there's only a slight amount of dots on me boy! This is a brand new tank set up as well. Powder, yellow tangs, cleaner shrimp an wrasse all bought yesterday.

Sent from my Russian submarine

babbyk

Premium member
DT? Got him from a local shop in town. Refuse to say name. Don't want to bash. Wasn't a grab an go. They Made sure that he ate and was in good shape before he left the store. Looked fine when I brought him home. Then last night I started to notice. This morning there's only a slight amount of dots on me boy! This is a brand new tank set up as well. Powder, yellow tangs, cleaner shrimp an wrasse all bought yesterday.

I wouldnt call it bashing, ick is common so quarantine is a good idea. my thought was it would be good to let the community know so if people buy from them they quarantine.

babbyk

Premium member

what really sucks is now you have ick in your new tank and prolly have to run it with no fish for 8 weeks.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I wouldnt call it bashing, ick is common so quarantine is a good idea. my thought was it would be good to let the community know so if people buy from them they quarantine.
It doesn't matter where you buy. You should qt no matter what if you don't want to take a gamble. You can get ich from any store, especially with tangs.

Your chances of getting all of these fish to live without removing from the tank are very low. You need to act now, because their chances diminish as they get more infected. All of your fish have ich if one has ich. Start researching your treatment method. I prefer to use cupramine, but there are other methods.

My powder blue infected my tank when I first got him. I set up a qt, treated with cupramine, went fallow for 6 weeks, and didn't lose a single fish. You can do it. Save that beautiful fish.

cet98

I am sorry to see your new addition has come down with what looks like Ich to me as well....I'm also impressed to see you not throwing the LFS under the bus too...
Ich is an extremely common and and overwhelmingly ever present parasite that exists in the vast majority of LFS and home aquariums. It is a risk we all take when buying fish from LFS or other reefers and the only sure fire way to keep it from spreading into our own DT's (display tanks) is to set up and maintain a QT tank.
As mentioned already, certain species of fish are more prone to becoming infected than others, so it may or may not always be necessary to QT all your new additions. (as I never do :p)

There is endless info regarding the cause and effect of the Ich parasite but here is a small bit of info to get you started from DF&S...

What is Ich? (Cryptocaryon)
Cryptocaryon is a fully ciliated protozoan that is present in all saltwater environments, and is particularly prevalent in marine aquariums, aquaculture ponds, and in import and wholesale holding environments. The protozoan is considered an external parasite and is so widespread that many fish that enter the home aquarium market have had a good chance of being exposed to it at some point in their handling. The protozoan penetrates the skin and gills of the fish, and depending on the immune status of the fish, can cause symptoms as mild as just a few small white spots to more severe symptoms including severe irritation, loss of appetite, lethargy, severe respiratory distress, and death.

Why/How do fish get Ich?
Cryptocaryon is a parasite, and like most parasites it is very prevalent in the environment of the species it normally infects. Therefore, most wild fish are exposed to low levels of this parasite fairly frequently and are able to effectively fight off the infection without becoming seriously ill. What happens in an aquarium fish, however, is very different than what happens in a wild fish. In the wild, the number of free-floating Cryptocaryon per 100 gallons of water is extremely small. Whereas in a home aquarium with a relatively small volume of water and a concentrated population of fish, the number of Cryptocaryon has the opportunity to explode into a number hundreds of times higher than what would ever be experienced in the wild. The other thing that happens in a home aquarium is that the level of stress has the potential to be much more severe than what is found in the wild.
Almost all marine aquarium fish are wild harvested, and in a period of several days their lives change dramatically. They go from living on the reef to being collected, handled, shipped, and re-handled repeatedly. When those fish finally enter the home aquarium, they are then subject to yet another change in water parameters, diet, temperature, and environment and may even be subject to aggression from existing tank mates. To say the least, these fish are severely stressed to the point that their immune system may not be functioning properly, making them very susceptible to infections and parasites like Cryptocaryon. In an existing tank in which the fish are healthy, the introduction of a new fish or a decrease in water quality or temperature fluctuations may stress the fish to the point that the Cryptocaryon protozoans that were present but not creating problems will then rapidly cause a more serious infection.

IMO, these statements explain why a fish may look completely fine at the store or another reefer's house but come down with the disease once it is transferred to our tanks...

Best of luck to you and your fish. I hope all goes well!!!

babbyk

Premium member
It doesn't matter where you buy. You should qt no matter what if you don't want to take a gamble. You can get ich from any store, especially with tangs.

Your chances of getting all of these fish to live without removing from the tank are very low. You need to act now, because their chances diminish as they get more infected. All of your fish have ich if one has ich. Start researching your treatment method. I prefer to use cupramine, but there are other methods.

My powder blue infected my tank when I first got him. I set up a qt, treated with cupramine, went fallow for 6 weeks, and didn't lose a single fish. You can do it. Save that beautiful fish.
Great point.

ksull72487

I've been an Aquatics Manager. Best advice is to wait make sure its not sand but start treatment ASAP. It does look like Ich and seeing its a new addition probably is. I've used Mardel Clout. Blue Tablets they due tend to work better than cooper. Should be easy to treat since it looks relatively early.

Top Water

Some fish will beat ich on their own but not that one its one of the worst ich magnets
Most pet stores run low salinity and or copper then you take it home and it surfaces.
It's the type of fish not the pet store.

Drdavis

Premium member
With tangs I would at least have a UV on the tank at any time I have had good luck with them as long as I have a cleaner wrasse. Even when they flash and look irritated the Cleaner wrasse comes right over and inspects them. I have 7 tangs in the same 220, all happy and living together.

jeffy

Thank you all for the great advice! I began to medication yesterday. Still all swimming and eating healthy!

snelly98

This is not advice but my experience thus far. I started this addiction 7 months ago. 5 months ago I started stressing hard as my hippo developed ich. Almost killed him from stress taking him out qting. Was doing horrible in qt treatment. Called awesome LFS and he put in his treatment tanks left there 4 weeks. Has now been back in my tank 2 - 3 months. Living with ich. He shows signs every time I do something major in tank and have hands in tank more than 30 minutes. That lasts about 3 days and goes away. I feed heavy garlic , seltec, and vitachem. This may not be the best way but it seems to be his happiest way.

snelly98

BTW no other fish has ever shown signs of it. I understand that they probably all have it but the all seem healthy and happy so for now my course is less stress more food....for me and fish!