Ick/ich

Neebles

I would probably slow down on the additions for a little bit too...it seems like you added a lot of fish at one time to a new tank...that's going to be rough on the tanks biological filter....it's going to take time for it to catch up and be able to process the nutrients properly. I could be way off base as this may be a new tank using established rock, sand etc. but it was a thought

Last edited:

babbyk

Premium member
Thank you all for the great advice! I began to medication yesterday. Still all swimming and eating healthy!

Sent from my Russian submarine
By DT I meant display tank, what medication are you using? I see live rock and snails in that pic, did you set up a quarantine?

jeffy

I would probably slow down on the additions for a little bit too...it seems like you added a lot of fish at one time to a new tank...that's going to be rough on the tanks biological filter....it's going to take time for it to catch up and be able to process the nutrients properly. I could be way off base as this may be a new tank using established rock, sand etc. but it was a thought
I had the rock and sand in 2 100 gallon Rubbermaid containers to get it established. Did that for about a month. I was building an plumbing my tank. During that time. I Was slowing adding some cleaner crews to the tanks. I've had my water tested every other week. Along with me testing it. On top of water changes. As far as my filtration system, that bad boy can easily filter out a 500g tank with no problems.

jeffy

By DT I meant display tank, what medication are you using? I see live rock and snails in that pic, did you set up a quarantine?
I slowly figured out what DT meant. . I've not set up a QT yet. I know that's a great idea. However I feel that would stress the tang out more. Going back an forth. (Considering it was stress ick). And that's just how I feel.

As far as medicine for the guys. Some tasty brine dressed with garlic and a few drops of vitamins. I really wouldn't consider it a a medicine. But it's different an I know after a night of research it helps.

ali3596

Im a few blocks away from New Lenox.... didnt know we had so many south siders in the reef world.

At the end of the day, theres 3 proven methods to rid ich in this preferred order.

Tank Transer Method
Copperbased Meds
Hyposalinity

As far as your main tank, if its new, i would empty dry and start over. If you read enough articles, you'll find out people left their tanks fallow 90-120 days and still had ich after returning healthy fish. Its not worth the reintroduction of this parasite.