ID these please

SMACKERS4

Make sure you watch in HD

[video=youtube_share;9WhCGw1XZPY]http://youtu.be/9WhCGw1XZPY[/video]

Seem to be an irritant to some of my zoas and montis. When worms touch the coral the polyps close up.

SMACKERS4

So turns out these bastards are called DIGITATE HYDROIDS and have a pretty powerful sting when they come in contact with anything, I have read that these sometimes can disappear put I think that is wishful thinking. So I will attempt to manually remove them by scrubbing the off my rocks.

Has anyone ever had any Experiance with these?

madjoe

Premium member
I heard super glueing em works not much eats em from what i remember least reef safe things think few butterfly fish eat em along with everything else . Cant remember but think someine said peppermints might eat em but dont quote me . Id just try the super glue

ultimatemj

Never heard of them becoming problematic, but there is a particular nudi that eats them...but I'd probably start with some kalk paste application and see if you could just "zap" the ones annoying other corals.

SMACKERS4

Hit every one I could reach with a toothbrush already notice better PE on my rainbow Monti. Rastas, watermelon, and some other zoas still completely closed. Hopefully the DH don't show back up.

SMACKERS4

I have these in my tank but they never cause a problem. I don't worry about them.
At first I just figured they were just part of the ecosystem and not considered a pest. I then noticed more and more of them. Finally I noticed my Rastas and watermelons were closing up on me and upon closer inspection notice the hydroids brushing up against the closed polyps.. I also notice my rainbow monti has not had the best PE in the last week or so. Other montis doing well. Upon closer inspection also notice these hydroids brushing up against the monti as well and even watched one of the hydroids close up half (about 1 1/2"s worth) of polyps on my poker star Monti. Then I started investigating. After a week or so of prowling the interwebs i found it. I also found varying experiances from no issues at all to losing whole pieces of SPS and having to cook all rock to rid the tank of them. People have even recording being stung by them on sensative areas like back of the wrist and having welts to prove it. After scrubbing my rock with a toothbrush where I could I've already noticed improvement on my sps and I hope my zoas follow suit.

madjoe

Premium member
Guess i should of watched video before i answered i had few of these but not no more my guess either my white spot puffer or one of my 4 leopard wrasses ate em