Ideas for lifting a heavy tank

KJAhp098

Hey guys, I found a deal for a new aquarium that I couldn't pass up. The dimensions are 60"x30"x24" and it has 3/4" glass...so looks like a little over 400 lbs. The problem is that it's in the basement and simply lifting and carrying it up the stairs is out of the question.

I had a couple ideas in mind and I'd like some advice.

The first is lifting straps...same as what movers use to lift furniture. The problem with this is that the glass is smooth and I'm worried that the straps may slip off the tank.

Second option is using a convertible hand truck to roll up the stairs...maybe even tie a rope to the handle to pull up the stairs with a couple guys pushing from the bottom.

Like most basement stairs, they're only wide enough to have people on the ends of the tank and not the sides.

Any help is much appreciated.

KJAhp098

He paid some guys from a LFS to just bring it down the stairs. It's glass and the silicon is the same type used in skyscrapers.

ColaAddict

He might not want to dismantle the tank. You could always try to find a few big and strong guys to get it out of there. The strongest ones have to be on the low part of the stairs when going up because they will be getting alot of the weight going up the stairs

KJAhp098

I was thinking about the suction cups, but that would only allow two guys carrying it up the stairs on both ends. Also, wouldn't that put too much inward pressure on sides? I would rather have the weight of the tank resting on something.

Appreciate the feedback so gar, guys.

Siebo

Premium member
Use the appliance truck and cups. Takes pressure off of both and makes it easier to handle

capysolo

You could check with a tool rental place, maybe they rent suction cups? Those seem expensive to buy for one tank move...

research forearm forklifts, its what movers use for stairs when they moved my tank....2 big guys can do a stairs in just a minute easily then 4 guys will be easy.

im sure you can rent them or find guys who have them already